Thread: 2017 Opening and Wildfires

2017 Opening and Wildfires

Hi Folks,
    While researching places to go, got a bit confused by the regs due to wildfires. I don't have ATV but still, need to drive my jeep on some logging roads. The gov note
    http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprS...le.asp?ID=2834
    says, a quote:
    ..While jeeps, trucks and other on-highway vehicles are permitted on designated roads, they are not allowed off-road."

Are the Forest service roads considered "Off-Road" or "designated"? Where can I find a differentiation? - Just in case someone decides to pull me off. Do you folks know if Christian Valley or Keremeos areas open or closed for Sep1-4?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    George.
    Last edited by geol; 08-28-2017 at 01:00 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2017 Opening and Wildfires

this is a very good question!!! on the various ministry sites I've found at least three different definitions of what roads we are allowed on under the current off-road ban. 'designated roads', 'defined road surfaces' & 'travelled road surfaces'. what any of these really mean is an open question. I suspect it will all come down to what an individual co or other enforcement officer thinks is a safe & appropriate road for you to use with a highway vehicle.
    at a minimum taking a couple good sized fire extinguishers is probably a good idea wherever you go this year.

Gray area... for sure
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Hey George,
    IMO if the grass in the middle of the road you are driving on is a foot higher that your bumper, stay off that road. Common sense has to prevail here.
    My projections is Christian Valley will still be banned (southeast fire district), I haven't been out to see the moisture content around Keremeos lately but I suspect the same. Very good question and I would have to agree with rogerb, it will be a judgement call from the authorities on what constitutes a road. I prefer to use my own judgement and save us all another huge fire or myself a $767 fine. We may not see any change around here until October if the weather does not cooperate, another thing our crew has been discussing is, how fast can you gut and quarter a 6 point bull and get it back to the freezer in 35 degree weather? Good luck in the hunt this year George!

PS I'm way sneakier on foot lols
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Linksman... Great advice

BUT... all you need is some green and keen NRO to decide that he interprets the definition differently..

I have already had issues with one in the East Kootenays who is so full of piss and vinegar that his is making enemies at an alarming rate due to lack of common sense and experience...

Be careful.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Thanks all. I found this post from CBC, which "says" FRs are "designated" BUT big question still, they are not the law, would be nice for some CO post some clarity here.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...n-bc-1.4235780
    snip: Jeeps, trucks and other cars are permitted on designated roads, including forest service roads, but cannot go off-road.

Obviously, common sense should prevail during traveling in danger zones, we are adults here with a deep respect for mother nature's powers . However time off work was scheduled and I am just concern that some may view this season as an opportunity for extra tax collection and would love have legal definition what is "designated" road, simply to avoid any arguments and for my own knowledge. Again, thanks all. With respect. George.
    Last edited by geol; 08-28-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geol View Post
    Hi Folks,
    While researching places to go, got a bit confused by the regs due to wildfires. I don't have ATV but still, need to drive my jeep on some logging roads. The gov note
    http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprS...le.asp?ID=2834
    says, a quote:
    ..While jeeps, trucks and other on-highway vehicles are permitted on designated roads, they are not allowed off-road."

Are the Forest service roads considered "Off-Road" or "designated"? Where can I find a differentiation? - Just in case someone decides to pull me off. Do you folks know if Christian Valley or Keremeos areas open or closed for Sep1-4?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    George.
    From the FAQ:
    Can you give me some examples of uses that are permitted and are not permitted under thisprohibition, and on what types of road surfaces?• Jeeps, trucks and other on-highway vehicles are permitted on designated roads underthis prohibition, including forest service roads. However, they are not allowed to go offroad.• Travelling cross-country off of a travelled road surface in a Jeep, truck or 4x4 is notpermitted.• Driving an ATV on a forest service road or designated trail is not permitted.• People who are going camping at a recreation site — so long as it is not in the CaribooFire Centre — may travel on a forest service road.
    more info here http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/pub...ions_aug_4.pdf

Awesome! Thanks, IronFox, that's what I was looking for.

Basically, Regions 3,4,5 & 8 are closed for O.R.V. use. (quads, side by sides, dirt bikes etc.)

Last edited by leannejason; 08-30-2017 at 04:18 AM.

Here are some updates on the restriction. https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0255-001499