Thread: LEH doe vs. Buck

LEH doe vs. Buck

Hey ya'll. Hope you are all doing well. I'm a new hunter, this being my second season, and was lucky enough to draw a doe tag close to home in region 2. I'm stoked! Naturally, I tell everyone I know and there stoked! But I start to hear some common thoughts that raise questions for me.

What I hear people say when I tell them I drew a doe tag is "that's great now you can shoot anything." Meaning a doe or a buck. What I am wondering is what are my responsibilities as a LEH doe tag holder? Obviously I have no obligations but If it so happens that I can only take one more deer and I chose to take a buck and "waste" my leh tag is there con's? Or pros even? Does it have any affect on future LEH's in the area?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH doe vs. Buck

Far as I know they don't do the reduced odds thing if you draw a doe tag, believe it's mostly a moose LEH thing.

^^^^exactly....I've never hunted blacktails in reg 2, but have heard they are hard to hunt, so I'd say shoot whatever's legal that you can ethically harvest...if your primarily concerned with filling the freezer of course..

Does have learned that they are not a constant hunting target and are easy to get in range of. I think being a new hunter you have a much greater chance of filling the doe tag. If I were you, I would hunt for a doe, but take a buck if the opportunity presents itself. Does are generally better quality meat anyways...
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Kill-da-wabbit; 08-27-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Good luck
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Ok cool.

I somehow have it in my head that they have a doe draw there because they are looking to reduce the deer population. And that if I didn't take a doe I might somehow might be stifling there conservation efforts... Is there any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by thedarts View Post
    Ok cool.

I somehow have it in my head that they have a doe draw there because they are looking to reduce the deer population. And that if I didn't take a doe I might somehow might be stifling there conservation efforts... Is there any truth to that?
    Your not going to hurt a thing if your draw is not filled. When it comes to the management of any species in BC they expect a portion of tags to go un filled

Just go hunt and enjoy your self

In most regions the bag limit is two -- one antlered and one anterless. So buy two tags and go for it.

If you're in a region that's 4-point buck then it's NOT "now you can shoot anything". It can be frustrating in early or late light to try and count points and have to pass because you're not sure.

I assume it's a mule draw so buy a white tail just in case. And a moose tag if there's a open season in your area.

I had a doe draw for an area of learned pretty good over a few seasons, ended up shooting a buck 2km from the truck after I beat myself up on the quad all day.

Do not feel bad if you only take a buck. Enjoy your hunt.

Most units in Region 2 allow at least 2 deer. So get a couple tags and take one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarts View Post
    Hey ya'l Hope you are all doing well. I'm a new hunter, this being my second season, and was lucky enough to draw a doe tag close to home in region 2. I'm stoked! Naturally, I tell everyone I know and there stoked! But I start to hear some common thoughts that raise questions for me.

What I hear people say when I tell them I drew a doe tag is "that's great now you can shoot anything." Meaning a doe or a buck. What I am wondering is what are my responsibilities as a LEH doe tag holder? Obviously I have no obligations but If it so happens that I can only take one more deer and I chose to take a buck and "waste" my leh tag is there con's? Or pros even? Does it have any affect on future LEH's in the area?
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom