Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cariboo region hunting fall 2017

cariboo region hunting fall 2017

Went for a drive today..east of williams lake..while there is destruction..homes lost..kilometers on end burnt.
    We saw a surprising amount of grass, green new growth most places..but some will take more time.
    At the same time lots of ground strike Iightening"..
    While west of the Fraser is burning with the hottest fires ever recorded in BC some HBC members are at riskat the present time.
    Surprised by green growth....seen buck, some does..moderately large black bear..lots of different individual fires charred remains.
    Still dry out there, some areas that were not close to burned areas the deciduous trees leaves were brown from stress..lack of water.
    Was fulfilling a promise by 4 different moose groups and it's better than I dared hope for..i was concerned still am but growth Iis there.
    I do not know if hunting season will be cancelled..much smarter than me..
    Lots survived...
    Lets turn our thoughts and Prayers to plateau fire and those still in harms way..gcreek..Chilcotin Hillbilly. .please be safe..careful.
    Srupp

2. Site Sponsor

Re: cariboo region hunting fall 2017

Great info. Thanks!

Just found this.

http://www.wltribune.com/news/huntin...al-government/

Thank You very much for the update Srupp great to hear!! Now for the other thing that northernguy brought to our attention “If we have to follow around every last hunter and shame them into not hunting, then that’s what we will do.

That comment really scares me!!

That's great to hear thanks for the report srupp. Must be pretty jaw dropping in person just the mass of it all. Yup best wishes to all still affected there's still a lot of fires burning out there.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

So close down all of area 5, buddy owns the blackwater spruce ranch no fires at all in that area so why shut it down, as for the chief not wanting any hunting, ya right, oh and lets go catch more salmon, wtf, oblivious to what condition the salmon runs are in or just doesn't give a s*it!

Good INFO there Steve - Indians- First Nations etc are NOT gonna stop Killing ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    So close down all of area 5, buddy owns the blackwater spruce ranch no fires at all in that area so why shut it down, as for the chief not wanting any hunting, ya right, oh and lets go catch more salmon, wtf, oblivious to what condition the salmon runs are in or just doesn't give a s*it!
    Thinking they still have more pull with govt than most. Some of you that haven't seen the area and have the entitlement attitude have no idea how bad it is. Over 2 million acres burnt now. Can you fathom that area?

No matter what, me and pops are cancelling any hunting around the cariboo region this year. But we're focusing on his goat draw this year. I'll be headed north next month some time to cut trails and do some looking for him.

Regional biologist have stated no collared moose or sheep have died in the fires. To me that means most wildlife has survived. I think the bigger problem is forage for survival through the winter. By hunting we would allow the remaining game a better chance of survival through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Piperdown, Dale is lucky, his area has managed not to get burnt. The Plateu Fire has stayed to the south and west of him and that's a mess.
    Over a million acres burnt with one fire going from Chezacut to Kluskus. A lot of wildlife survived but there is a noticeable lack of fawns and moose calves. On the plus side wolf pups were seen out travelling on their own in mid July. This isn't the norm and presumably they had their den sites burn. Maybe, just maybe the fire did a form of natural wolf reduction.
    In my opinion most of the wildlife east of the Fraser isn't that badly displaced. There are burnt out pockets but a lot is still fine.
    West of the river is another story.
    Last edited by bearvalley; 08-25-2017 at 09:56 AM.