Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which region has more elk ?

Re: Which region has more elk ?

East kootenay elk population is the lowest it's been in the last 20yrs that I've been hunting elk.

In my opinion, having hunted elk in the east kootenay's for 55 plus years the greatest threat to elk hunting is the political nature of whatever government is in power. Since Ray Demarchi "who fought scientific management" the regional biologist left this area, the main focus of elk and deer seasons has been whoever has the loudest voice. Ranchers don't want too many elk eating up the crown range they put their cattle on for a couple of bucks per cow per month, and ICBC wants a reduction of vehicle whitetail interactions, so cull the elk cows, kill off the bulk of whitetails and let the hunters wait few years for the herds to rebound. Talk about political political interference with the grizzly hunt. It's been going on for years.

"who fought FOR scientific management"

Hate to say this, as this effects people, but the EK is going to need to have a fire similar to what happened in the
    R5.
    Habitat has changes over the years as well....pine beetle....windstorms....windfall.....and flooding, have all been
    things I have noticed, and not for the better.
    Only a big fire can clean things up, and bring some areas back to life.
    With all that pine beetle timber lying around, it's only a matter of time.....
    Again, I don't mean to not sound like I don't care about people and their property....I do care.

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
    In my opinion, having hunted elk in the east kootenay's for 55 plus years the greatest threat to elk hunting is the political nature of whatever government is in power. Since Ray Demarchi "who fought scientific management" the regional biologist left this area, the main focus of elk and deer seasons has been whoever has the loudest voice. Ranchers don't want too many elk eating up the crown range they put their cattle on for a couple of bucks per cow per month, and ICBC wants a reduction of vehicle whitetail interactions, so cull the elk cows, kill off the bulk of whitetails and let the hunters wait few years for the herds to rebound. Talk about political political interference with the grizzly hunt. It's been going on for years.
    It is really sad....we need a stronger voice representing hunters, to stand up to the Cattlemans Association etc, and tell them antlerless seasons on elk are unacceptable when the population is not higher than the carrying capacity of the environment...if they want to do it all in the name of their cattle and a few extra bucks we should be able to tell them to pound sand...

j270 is right, I have never seen the elk hunting as bad as it has been the last few years.

Not many good bulls in 4-25. 3 point bulls running harems here

Quote Originally Posted by DeerSeer View Post
    Not many good bulls in 4-25. 3 point bulls running harems here
    Interesting, yes Elk numbers are declining in the EK along with pretty much every thing else. What keeps surprising me is the number of bulls
    that get taking in 4-25 last few years and especially the number of large ones taken last year.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Interesting, yes Elk numbers are declining in the EK along with pretty much every thing else. What keeps surprising me is the number of bulls
    that get taking in 4-25 last few years and especially the number of large ones taken last year.
    Care to give some GPS's on those.....
    Heard most of the success around your way came mostly from locals knowing locals with property.
    Always going to be some bulls around, but not like before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Care to give some GPS's on those.....
    Heard most of the success around your way came mostly from locals knowing locals with property.
    Always going to be some bulls around, but not like before.
    What do you want the GPS for there dead, but there is others, plus you were giving the info before.
    None of these were on private land but a fair number shot on private as well and there not all taken by locals.
    You pretty much answer it though in your other post when you say your from Vancouver so you really
    don't no what goes on around here when only out for a couple weeks a year. Im sure you observe changes
    but a lot goes on through out the rest of the year.