Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one back from the early moose hunt

Re: Any one back from the early moose hunt

I wish that our early moose hunt turned out that good. My daughter fell and twisted her ankle again and we had to come home after 1 day. Had friends scouting for days and we finally found fresh track, shit, and a massive fresh stomped out area where everything was eaten around it. Better luck next year.
    "Fight back, no battles have ever been won by a coward"

Being a father of 2 daughters...this^^^^^breaks my heart....awesome she is willing and ready for next year I bet....accidents happen....still a great dad for having her out.

Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by 4pointer View Post

On Aug. 15, the two left bulls were taken by my father and cousin. Two bulls standing about 50 yrds apart. On Aug. 16, the far right was taken by myself. Not the biggest but good eating. We were there for three days when our generators were crapping out and the freezers were not staying cold. Had to leave. Three out of five...not bad. One of my fellows also missed a bull on the last night we were there. Decent sign. Weather needs to change as its too dry. All we saw though were the 4 bulls.
    Congratulations on a good hunt. Did you see any cow / calf sign? Thinking the predators have killed mostly them off like they did here. Bulls seem to have a better chance of survival for a time.

Congrats on the bulls
    Been out 10days now seen 4 cows no calfs..handful of caribou
    I wish for a bull let alone 3 lol
    Good eats enjoy��

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Congratulations on a good hunt. Did you see any cow / calf sign? Thinking the predators have killed mostly them off like they did here. Bulls seem to have a better chance of survival for a time.
    Not many cow calves in the hills, but there is lots in the Ag. zone. Cameras in the Ag. zone show lots of cow/calves, even two with twins, cameras in the foothills not so much, although there is a few still hanging in there. Lots of calf elk though everywhere.

Preds don't live long in the Ag. zone.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Sorry to hear about your daughter. I brought my 7yr old along as well. Didnt think I was gonna be successful, especially since she's always singing and dancing behind me. Luckily she was sleeping at the moment of truth.

I really didnt get to hunt much. I hunted about a total of 3hrs. We've hunted the same place since 1994 so we usually dont even scout. The first day, I got the radio call at about 630am that 2 bulls were down so off to packing all day. The next day, I got mine at first light so again all day packing. The tracks that I did see, larger tracks with smaller ones in tow so I can only assume that there are cows and calves. LOTS of grizzly and wolf sign. Again, all we saw were the 4 bulls.

Some pics for your viewing.

Moose #1

Moose #2...50yrds apart from the first

Moose #3
    Laws are made by man, Money can change it

can you tell me what type of gen sets you were using and what the problems were. I am looking for one and want to know the good and bad of some of the brands. Would like to stay with Honda but will look at cheaper ones if they are well made. usually you get what you pay for

We have two yamaha 1000w 4 strokes but we have had them since the early 2000s. They owe us nothing as we have worked them hard. The switches are mostly broken and AC was working intermittently. They worked well but are long overdue for an overhaul. Very quiet and efficient. We only started noticing issues this year starting with harder startups. We tune them every year but they are old now and not sure how many hrs are on them. Used them from powering deep freezes to outdoor dj stages. Small and convenient as well. The hondas look good but I have not used one.
    Laws are made by man, Money can change it

Spend the money and buy a honda, the only one you will ever buy. On another note off to the cabin tomorrow in 6-04 for bow season, fingers crossed