Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Way To Fit Sheep Meat Into A Backpack

Best Way To Fit Sheep Meat Into A Backpack

Hey. So I have a question. I have gone sheep hunting alot but this is the first time going on a 5 day hunt and using a 80 L Pack. My question how does one fit the sheep meat into the back pack? My back pack neat full now. I have not packed much extra stuff. Just the essentials. Wonder if there is any tricks to hailing it out? Or do I need a bigger pack.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Way To Fit Sheep Meat Into A Backpack

I did it with a 100 liter pack this year. 1.5 pillow cases of sheep meat, plus horns and cape. Only alteration was putting my tent on the outside of my pack and extending the drift collar a bit. Light gear compressed in the bottom, meat mid ship near my back(In a garbage bag), other gear filled in around with cape above. Horns went between the collar and pack lid.

Depending on how far into your hunt you are, food wise, 80 liters could be a really tight fit.

The gear junkie side of me is screaming, "Bigger Pack". Haha.

De-bone! There are a couple pretty good videos on youtube.

This one is decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsDu0XcFhw

Assumed deboning was a given on a sheep hunt, right along with caping and salting prior to pack out.

Anyone packing out bone in sheep quarters for 1-2 days is waaaay more man than I'll ever be. Haha.

I debone the meat then place the meat into a kifaru game bag. It keeps the meat vertical in the sack so it doesn't sag into a blob of meat. this helps a lot. If your limited on pack space you can either upgrade do a larger pack or start attaching gear on the outside of you current one
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

a lot of hunting packs these days have the overload shelf which allows the meat to go between the frame and the bag

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

^^^^^heavy pack there I bet

Very heavy!!
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep

Looks like an Exo pack there being put to the test! Must be American with the sidearm on the belt.

Fitting the meat between the pack and frame like shown in the photo would be best. Keep the heaviest weight closest to your body not too low.