Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCWF Position on Cancellation of Trophy Grizzly Bear Hunt

Re: BCWF Position on Cancellation of Trophy Grizzly Bear Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    There are on average 250 bears killed annually by hunters. 80 from guides and 170 from resident hunters. We do not have numbers of FN harvest because they don't have to manditory report...
    Around 40-70 are killed annually by trains, cars and conservation officers
    Harvest rates remain constant over the past 30 years when comparing number of males harvested vs number of females harvested. This is a very good indicator of the health of the population because: As bears age, and more males are targeted, then eventually there should be less mature male bears, which should lead to more elderly female bears being harvested. This does not happen though, more male bears continue to be harvested which means that their numbers relative to harvest rates are in balance and the population is at the very least holding steady.
    Grizzly bear hunting generates around $2.5M-3M annually between resident and non resident hunters. It is hard to determine the actual amount generated from resident hunters as only successfull hunts are recorded anywhere.
    Good info Darksith.
    One note to keep in mind is that over the approximate time frame that you are using for your harvest stats the grizzly bear population in BC has gone from an estimated 6,600 to 16,000.
    This shows the hunt is more than sustainable.

So how much will be lost in BC revenue by American hunters cancelling their hunt. How many less BC'ers will not hunt bears, and not buy tags, and not put in for LEH? What will be the $ loss?

I read that a non-resident alien hunting license is $180, and the Grizzly Tag is $1030 per year. How much is the average guided hunt? Are there any special fees to hunt in Grizzly rich areas?

Thanks for the beginning info. Darksith - are you a BCWF rep?

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Good info Darksith.
    One note to keep in mind is that over the approximate time frame that you are using for your harvest stats the grizzly bear population in BC has gone from an estimated 6,600 to 16,000.
    This shows the hunt is more than sustainable.
    where is that fact stated? I would love to see it...would destroy a guy that I am arguing with
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhill View Post
    So how much will be lost in BC revenue by American hunters cancelling their hunt. How many less BC'ers will not hunt bears, and not buy tags, and not put in for LEH? What will be the $ loss?

I read that a non-resident alien hunting license is $180, and the Grizzly Tag is $1030 per year. How much is the average guided hunt? Are there any special fees to hunt in Grizzly rich areas?

no just a passionate hunter that loves to get into battles over stupid stuff like the cancelling of the grizz hunt. So I end up doing a lot of reading and researching
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

where is that fact stated? I would love to see it...would destroy a guy that I am arguing with
    This is most likely the source of those numbers: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...Final_2012.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Nailknot85 View Post
    This is most likely the source of those numbers: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...Final_2012.pdf
    it says right in the report that because estimation techniques evolved and improved, thus they change does not reflect a trend in population size...anyway I would love some hard data that shows how the bear population has recovered and is growing...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Someone has go to be advocating for hunters in this process. We need to take a stand against encroachment on our rights and rural values. This is the opening salvo in the anti-hunting battle and it's just going to get worse unless hunters tell the government there will be active political opposition to the government. Who's in with me?! C'mon fellow hunters let's get angry about this!
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhill View Post

All a loss to the conservation fund.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    Someone has go to be advocating for hunters in this process. We need to take a stand against encroachment on our rights and rural values. This is the opening salvo in the anti-hunting battle and it's just going to get worse unless hunters tell the government there will be active political opposition to the government. Who's in with me?! C'mon fellow hunters let's get angry about this!
    Ive already written our premiere to tell him I can not support a party that limits use of any animal parts.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Ive already written our premiere to tell him I can not support a party that limits use of any animal parts.
    Likely better off to write the opposition (Libs) declaring your support if when elected they will agree to restore the right to use the hide and base all wildlife management decicions on science rather than emotions.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.