Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCWF Position on Cancellation of Trophy Grizzly Bear Hunt

Re: BCWF Position on Cancellation of Trophy Grizzly Bear Hunt

Would it also not hurt to perhaps add something in such as i will not support a party that acts on emotions ignores hards facts and treats certain ethnic groups with different rights. If most of us (hopefully) are sending letters and emails I feel like we should also be fighting for our rights as non FN hunters at the same time. Let it be known, overwhelm them with letters and noise.

Nobody has asked how much the guide outfitters are going to be paid for the loss of the grizzly tags. The tags just can't be pulled without compensation to the guide for loss of revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffcityhunter View Post
    Would it also not hurt to perhaps add something in such as i will not support a party that acts on emotions ignores hards facts and treats certain ethnic groups with different rights. If most of us (hopefully) are sending letters and emails I feel like we should also be fighting for our rights as non FN hunters at the same time. Let it be known, overwhelm them with letters and noise.
    Unfortunately ALL political parties react to emotion vs science. Its called getting re-elected. And if the polls are to be believed, and I have no reason to NOT believe them, then we as hunters will have pretty thin opportunities in coming years, and for an increasing number of species. Remember the short lived controversy when we were ordered to stop using lead shot for waterfowl? At that time I was a member of Sapperton F&G, which had a number of ardent duck hunters. They got riled up that anything but lead shot would ruin the barrels or even explode them. But I remember one old timer getting and addressing the club..... "This is a battle we cant win guys. A few more pictures of swans and geese that cant hold their heads up because of lead poisoning on the TV news and lead shot is DONE !" In a similar way , this applies to the griz hunt. IMO we lost this battle when the name "Great Bear Rain Forest" was used by the envios and local Natives. The news media picked this up and all of a sudden there were all sorts of cute kermode bears rebranded as "spirit bears" showing up on the 6 o'clock news. ( for the record the most kermodies I have seen have been at the Terrace dump!! ) So-- Great Bear Rain Forest- Spirits bears, then ..OMG -- we forgot grizzly's !!!!! Lets get them included and spin it so that the average highrise dweller in Vancouver and Surrey ( who has never , EVER seen a griz in the wild) will believe that they are endangered and are just big Disney cuddly creatures that just eat grass and berries. In a masterful campaign a few groups with media savvy have achieved that. But we, as hunters , are responsible to a degree-- Pics of a hunter with a dead bear across his lap do not help the situation. Share with your friends and fellow hunters only before they come after the black bear hunt too . And DONT post pics of 20 dead coyotes in the back of a pick-up truck... Its just ammunition that will be used against us. ( this from an old guys that has stopped hunting two years ago except with crossbow at 20 yds because he has s#itty eyesight )
    So I guess the question is " Do you roll over and take it and see more hunts restricted or stopped? " Frankly-- I have seen the writing on the wall, and do not have a good feeling about what the future for hunting holds. It will take a quantum shift in the public's attitude , and that will take many resources. Who is up for the challenge ???

"Unfortunately ALL political parties react to emotion vs science. Its called getting re-elected." Bang friggin' on.

And that observation is the reason we need to build social license. Sounds like kumbayah jargon, but it's true.

If we're represented as people who just want to kill innocent animals because we're weak, sociopathic and have small penises we are going to lose.

If we are recognized as conservationists who harvest sustainable meat with a smaller carbon footprint than the average person and who protect the wild landscape and it's plant and animal inhabitants? We might have a chance.

"It will take a quantum shift in the public's attitude , and that will take many resources. Who is up for the challenge ???" Again, you've nailed what it will take and you ask the important question.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated Ol Phart View Post
    Unfortunately ALL political parties react to emotion vs science. Its called getting re-elected. And if the polls are to be believed, and I have no reason to NOT believe them, then we as hunters will have pretty thin opportunities in coming years, and for an increasing number of species. Remember the short lived controversy when we were ordered to stop using lead shot for waterfowl? At that time I was a member of Sapperton F&G, which had a number of ardent duck hunters. They got riled up that anything but lead shot would ruin the barrels or even explode them. But I remember one old timer getting and addressing the club..... "This is a battle we cant win guys. A few more pictures of swans and geese that cant hold their heads up because of lead poisoning on the TV news and lead shot is DONE !" In a similar way , this applies to the griz hunt. IMO we lost this battle when the name "Great Bear Rain Forest" was used by the envios and local Natives. The news media picked this up and all of a sudden there were all sorts of cute kermode bears rebranded as "spirit bears" showing up on the 6 o'clock news. ( for the record the most kermodies I have seen have been at the Terrace dump!! ) So-- Great Bear Rain Forest- Spirits bears, then ..OMG -- we forgot grizzly's !!!!! Lets get them included and spin it so that the average highrise dweller in Vancouver and Surrey ( who has never , EVER seen a griz in the wild) will believe that they are endangered and are just big Disney cuddly creatures that just eat grass and berries. In a masterful campaign a few groups with media savvy have achieved that. But we, as hunters , are responsible to a degree-- Pics of a hunter with a dead bear across his lap do not help the situation. Share with your friends and fellow hunters only before they come after the black bear hunt too . And DONT post pics of 20 dead coyotes in the back of a pick-up truck... Its just ammunition that will be used against us. ( this from an old guys that has stopped hunting two years ago except with crossbow at 20 yds because he has s#itty eyesight )
    So I guess the question is " Do you roll over and take it and see more hunts restricted or stopped? " Frankly-- I have seen the writing on the wall, and do not have a good feeling about what the future for hunting holds. It will take a quantum shift in the public's attitude , and that will take many resources. Who is up for the challenge ???
    Agree with everything you just said there.....even the challenge part.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "Unfortunately ALL political parties react to emotion vs science. Its called getting re-elected." Bang friggin' on.

And that observation is the reason we need to build social license. Sounds like kumbayah jargon, but it's true.

If we're represented as people who just want to kill innocent animals because we're weak, sociopathic and have small penises we are going to lose.

If we are recognized as conservationists who harvest sustainable meat with a smaller carbon footprint than the average person and who protect the wild landscape and it's plant and animal inhabitants? We might have a chance.

"It will take a quantum shift in the public's attitude , and that will take many resources. Who is up for the challenge ???" Again, you've nailed what it will take and you ask the important question.
    People's attitude is hard to change.
    Example, I have a neighbor who eats meat....but....absolutely hates hunting.....why....
    because those animals (the ones we hunt), in her mind, are "free animals"!
    That cows, chickens and pigs, are grown for humans....???!!!
    I know, it doesn't make sense, and no matter how I try to get her to look at it differently, and don't forget, I am not talking to a Vegan or vegetarian, but a BC voter, and yet, it is impossible to get her to change her opinion.
    Trying to change many peoples point of view is in my opinion, going to be an impossible task.
    The only thing that we had as resident hunters, was that there were some political officials upholding our rights to hunt,
    even if some of them had some "personal gains" in that department.
    And now, you throw in Social Media, something that didn't exist back in the day, and videos out there of "hunts gone wrong" or carcasses left whole and to rot, just missing heads and hides....well....how do you correct that.
    Social Media, just bombards people daily...all day...24/7.
    it's all emotion based...but it works real well....
    Honestly, what kind of "challenge" can we create????
    How do you get someone like my neighbor to change?
    Honestly, the only people that may listen and could help the most are "the politicians"....
    We need them on "our side".....
    And that is not going so well either anymore....

Nearly a month now and no more discussion on this important issue.

Guess a lot more naughty bears will become shot.

Is it just me?

or did we just roll over on loosing the grizzly hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
    Is it just me?

or did we just roll over on loosing the grizzly hunt?
    Let’s put it this way.....if any form of a grizzly hunt is salvaged out of this mess it will not be due to the efforts of the BCWF.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Let’s put it this way.....if any form of a grizzly hunt is salvaged out of this mess it will not be due to the efforts of the BCWF.
    Still bashing away with your wrecking ball eh? If you actually care about the issue try getting on board and doing something instead of just trolling and lobbing unsubstantiated insults, it will be much more productive.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this