Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock creek, where to start?

Re: Rock creek, where to start?

My dad was in a motorcycle accident this am just outside of grand forks. A deer jumped out on the road. Broke a few ribs and his thumb.. I told him I will seek revenge on said deer!

take a look at google maps....look for natural pinch points that exit the farm fields close to the river and lead to nice benches for does especially...they do tend to travel before first light instead of just as it is getting light now IMHO and from what I have seen and heard....the bucks may take more difficult routes out and tend to go higher up and further from any human disturbance (where there will also be mulies so be careful)...there is nothing illegal about having a spot light to locate them in the fields before light and see where they are exiting from the fields just don't point the lights at/near farm buildings...almost all the deer I have gotten in those areas have been moving up in the morning but I did get one buck coming down in the evening...

I've been hunting the Rock Creek area for the last 6 years with some success in the 4 point mulie season and whitetail season, but have since decided that the area has too many hunters for my preference. Most of my success was in the christian valley, but that also seems to be where the majority of hunters flock to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    I've been hunting the Rock Creek area for the last 6 years with some success in the 4 point mulie season and whitetail season, but have since decided that the area has too many hunters for my preference. Most of my success was in the christian valley, but that also seems to be where the majority of hunters flock to as well.
    Unfortunately as a resident of said area, I regrettably have to agree with JP, although many new friendships and traditions have formed over the years meeting folk out on the hunt.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Remember it's 4 point muley all season now, there is no more any buck in the CV.

As advised above, go for a walk and you'll see more than on the roads. They've all read the memo and the days of 30 does standing on the CV Main are over. Those deer are still there in the same numbers, but they've adapted quickly and tend to seek out the pine stands.

With many hunters around, your best bet is to either still hunt or set up a stand. Let the bush bashers push the deer to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I hate saying this because I assume most people that get as far as signing up for this site are competent hunters, but.... based on the time of year you are heading to the area, please ensure any does harvested are whitetail does. Every year we get reports from CO's and other hunters that Mule deer does are being shot mistakenly. I simply want to ensure that we save all mule deer does we can in the area at this point. Good Luck
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Yea I know it can get pretty busy around there, hoping to find somewhere not over crowded, I'm pretty good with comparing mule deer/whitetail but I'll be careful for sure. I'm more of a region 3 hunter so I'm used to good visibility when I'm hunting, the few times Ive been up to region 8 and 4 the bush seems to close in on me sooner lol Ive gotten turned around a few times, maybe it's just the areas I happen to have hunted. Its starting to sound like I might want to have a contingency plan incase it's too over run with people.

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    Me and a couple buddies are thinking about heading to the rock creek area around the second week of October, I spent a day up there kind of poking around before but I didn't see much, it'll be my one buddies first time out and my other buddies first time in the area, I was hoping maybe we could get some tips on where to start or where not to bother wasting any time, were open to other areas too (grand forks, Christina lake etc) more than likely will be camping and we can bring quads if need be, any help is much appreciated, all the spots I finally had figured out burnt to a crisp so this'll be a new hunt for all of us. Private messages are fine if you do t want to share here, thanks, Russ.
    Really, get on Google Earth [not just maps]. You can really scout out areas and find the "hidden spots". That ravine looks like where I would hide if I was a pressured buck.

Just a random screen capture below -- sorry if I outed someone's spot.

I'm thinking that looking south and west from Rock Creek, you are looking at a whole lot of private property.

That's kind of what I was thinking too, the last time I was there there seemed to be a lot of private land, we won't be up there long, I don't want to waste all of time looking for spots we're aloud to hunt.