Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock creek, where to start?

Rock creek, where to start?

Me and a couple buddies are thinking about heading to the rock creek area around the second week of October, I spent a day up there kind of poking around before but I didn't see much, it'll be my one buddies first time out and my other buddies first time in the area, I was hoping maybe we could get some tips on where to start or where not to bother wasting any time, were open to other areas too (grand forks, Christina lake etc) more than likely will be camping and we can bring quads if need be, any help is much appreciated, all the spots I finally had figured out burnt to a crisp so this'll be a new hunt for all of us. Private messages are fine if you do t want to share here, thanks, Russ.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rock creek, where to start?

If you are looking for WT get off the road and ambush them in the thick stuff. Lots of WT low in the valley along the river. A tip for chest waders and small boat are handy and get you away from high pressure areas

They have become more pressured so road hunting will get you mostly flags running

Houses and ranches consume most of the valley floor up until the end of the power grid (~25km mark). You can find a few spots to get up high in that stretch, but your better crown hunting improves significantly beyond that point. Pick "ANY" FSR and take a cruise. Quads will help. There are a lot of trails and old roads in the area. As Wild One mentioned get off the road, the animals have adjusted to the new doe season and are much more skittish than they once were. You will most certainly have a lot of other hunters in the area as it is probably the most popular whitetail valley in the province. Lots of deer, despite what some of the old timers in the area will tell you.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Houses and ranches consume most of the valley floor up until the end of the power grid (~25km mark). You can find a few spots to get up high in that stretch, but your better crown hunting improves significantly beyond that point. Pick "ANY" FSR and take a cruise. Quads will help. There are a lot of trails and old roads in the area. As Wild One mentioned get off the road, the animals have adjusted to the new doe season and are much more skittish than they once were. You will most certainly have a lot of other hunters in the area as it is probably the most popular whitetail valley in the province. Lots of deer, despite what some of the old timers in the area will tell you.
    All good advice from my standpoint, be very careful with private property, many ranchers in the area actively prosecute on first offense trespass (learned from personal experience). Lots of land to cover outside the grid, easier once ATV/ORV ban comes off (hopefully next week or so). Deer counts up Kettle Valley Mainlin FSR off the Christian Valley Road shows great improvement considering what a winter we had. Plenty of beautiful spots to set up base camp close to the river as well. Be aware many DCT Chambers and Logging trucks this time of the season, resource road radio will come in handy throughout entire region, also please bring a bear tag or two, we can use the help in that department as well. Good luck and pm for more info if needed.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Ive got a bear tag I'm itching to fill lol, any areas to not bother with? Also curious if the area holds many turkeys.

Yes there is turkeys and the odd bear

Honestly I found the best way to hunt that area for wt is two hunt the stupid places everyone drives past or find natural obstructions that keep people out

if a truck or ATV can get there it will be hunted in that valley. Get in the bush and away from clear cuts. I like it thick can see max 40yards ussally less

Got my first whitetail in the Christian valley....early November rattling...got up to leave too soon seen the white flag...don't know how I did it but slow hunted the timber he went into bumped a nice group got a not bad 4 point...gotta hunt they ain't always just gonna hand themselves to yah

I got my first whitetail in grand forks, that was another dumb luck situation.

Do a search on WT threads myself and others have posted lots of tips and advice