Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5-15 Alpine Mulies - Timing

5-15 Alpine Mulies - Timing

Never hunted mulies up high in this area but have heard that they tend to migrate down to lower elevations fairly early. Any truth to this? whats the latest I should head up?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 5-15 Alpine Mulies - Timing

I like the first two weeks of September but the deer will stay up there until the snow pushes them out.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    I like the first two weeks of September but the deer will stay up there until the snow pushes them out.
    old wives tale.
    Deer will stay up there as long as there the feed they like is doing well. In a lot of places they vacate the alpine and timber up long before the snow arrives.

With a summer as dry as this one, i bet there are going to be more dead alpine spots than usual .... Did you scout around this month? If you saw them (or fresh sign) in Aug, they should still be up there in Sept. If it all looked super dry, there's a good chance they moved out.

First day or two of the season ......if they are even still there.

Last time I checked MD don't enjoy spending time in unshaded 30 degree temps and where forage is baked dry.
    Think shade.
    Think cool.
    Think moisture.
    Think forage......deer that prefer high elevation should be more concentrated than usual and wont be too difficult to find.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    old wives tale.
    Deer will stay up there as long as there the feed they like is doing well. In a lot of places they vacate the alpine and timber up long before the snow arrives.

With a summer as dry as this one, i bet there are going to be more dead alpine spots than usual .... Did you scout around this month? If you saw them (or fresh sign) in Aug, they should still be up there in Sept. If it all looked super dry, there's a good chance they moved out.

I guess you are entitled to your opinion. There is almost always food sources well into the snowy season.

Hmmmm deer from 5:15 come out of the mountains in 2 groups..first snow timing does ..fawns..snow up to just above knee joints..
    Bucks come out only when pushed by deep snow..chest deep.snow.
    Interesting enough both migrations does/fawns..then later the bucks use the exact same migratory path from Cariboo mts accross....########### valley and lake.once in progress the small valley looks like a cattle herd tore up the place.
    It's not a certain date for the bucks..it's deep snow that pushes the bucks.
    Send a pm with ph number for some timing and narrowed location..
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    I guess you are entitled to your opinion. There is almost always food sources well into the snowy season.
    Absolutely, tough summer though chief.
    The key to having a great plan A ......is having a better plan B in case the "almost always" plan A doesnt work out, otherwise u r left hanging.

I know this unprecedented heat and lack of rain has me seeing areas that are usually gold.....well, ...... they are dead lately.
    Gonna be a tough/interesting early season if you are in the alpine.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Haven't been able to do much scouting this year for obvious reasons in this area! On that note the backcountry ban was lifted today! Time to lace up the boots and see if anything is going on up there! Been looking at a few areas close to crooked and horsefly lakes

Depends how many other people are running around up there at the same time.
    Always best when it comes to Alpine Mulies to be up there for the opening.
    When they start seeing traffic, they get elusive....they are still there, but much more aware.

Quote Originally Posted by vanislerev View Post
    Haven't been able to do much scouting this year for obvious reasons in this area! On that note the backcountry ban was lifted today! Time to lace up the boots and see if anything is going on up there! Been looking at a few areas close to crooked and horsefly lakes
    I pulled a nice Muley out of the alpine up the McKay valley back in 2001. Couple days after the towers got hit. You could take a quad up an old spur and it was just a short walk in.