Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Food for sheep hunt

Re: Food for sheep hunt

I'm going to try granola with almond slices and crasins with vanilla.protein powder for milk for breakfast this year. Alot better than oatmeal. A little heavy but worth it to start the day right

4000 calories is a lot of food. If you plan to eat 4000 calories you'll pretty much just be eating all day.

I ate 4000 calories for a while when I was putting on weight and let me tell you .... eating that many is actually a chore. And on top of that, I was shitting like 4 times a day. You ain't gonna have time to eat that much or shit that much on a hunt

4000 kcal is too much. Some long distance runners say you can only digest 100 cal/hr so anything more and your body isn't as efficient as it could be and will actually bog you down. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 260, and I shoot for 2500 cal per day and get by just fine.
    Last edited by 300rum700; 08-24-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Loose the high sugar high sodium snacks and take more fatty, slow release carb foods. The mountain house alone will make you swell up from water retention for a few days after the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    4000 kcal is too much. Some long distance runners say you can only digest 100 cal/hr so anything more and your body isn't as efficient as it could be and will actually bog you down. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 260, and I shoot for 2500 cal per day and get by just fine.
    I agree. I went for opening of sheep this year and packed 3200cal per day. I'm 5'10" and 175#, I'm going to scale that back to probably 2700-2800cal for next season. I took high fat/cal items and am glad I did. My body seams to operate better with that than the high sugar/carb alternative. Try the new Clif Nut Butter filled bars, not as dry as the originals. They come highly recommended.

It seemed like a lot

Will pull some stuff out. This will come in at about 2740kal +/- & 130kal per oz

• Trail Mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, chocolate almonds, & chocolate acai berries, 140kal per oz
    • Cliff Bar, nut butter filled, 127kal per oz
    • Mtn House breakfast, various, avg is approx 119kal per oz
    • Lipton chicken cup a soup, 115kal per oz
    • Mtn House dinner, various, avg is approx 77kal per oz
    • Sesame seed whole grain bagel w/ two tablespoons each of crunchy peanut butter & honey, 85kal per oz (heavy! thought it would be higher up the list)
    • elk jerky, 66kal per oz

There, got the feed bag down to 21oz per day, this doesn't include the Mtn House breakfast or dinner.
    Last edited by todbartell; 08-24-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

One thing I notice on backpack hunts is the lack of desire to snack. To be honest, aside from breakfast, I often eat only after I look at my watch and think wow, I should probably eat something. It's not uncommon to go from b-fast to dinner with only an Eatmore, a protein bar and a couple small pieces of jerky or handful of trail mix. Water is a different story, never skimp on that or electrolytes.

One more thing. Keep track of actual food consumption on a daily basis for future hunts. I like to pack about 1 day of extra food off a mountain, but only because I pack an extra day to start with to cover emergencies.

Almost nailed it this year, ALMOST. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    One thing I notice on backpack hunts is the lack of desire to snack. To be honest, aside from breakfast, I often eat only after I look at my watch and think wow, I should probably eat something. It's not uncommon to go from b-fast to dinner with only an Eatmore, a protein bar and a couple small pieces of jerky or handful of trail mix. Water is a different story, never skimp on that or electrolytes.
    exactly... on all counts. It just goes to show how much we overeat when at home not working our assess off in the mountains. No wonder north Americans have a weight problem!!!

TJ

1 thing I bring that I don't think was mentioned. I smoke my own salmon and will bring some in individual vac sealed packs, not sure what the cal per oz is. But for me its a way of getting real meat in my system. Too much processed stuff and I just feel lazy and drained.