Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for sheep hunt

Re: Food for sheep hunt

Pick really low carbohydrate foods......you will 'starve to death' with out feeling hungry. Probably drop 10 pounds on a 6 day hunt.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I used to focus on variety, now I'm more geared to what I like best, though that's on a 12 day hunt.
    This is where I'm at now... Only take what I like, otherwise it is wasted space in my pack.

Cliff bar
    Peanut butter & honey bagel sandwich
    Vector protein bar
    Chewing that stuff down when you are tired, parched and running low on water won't be fun, lol. I have to force myself through it sometimes lol... Soups or a MH chicken and noodles makes a good lunch with some re-hydration mixed in. The more liquids the better for me.

MH Granola w/Blueberries is always a staple in my pack, lots of calories. It's also usually not too difficult to find a bunch of wild blue berries in sheep country to add to the mix.

Good Luck!
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Protein shake (Isagenix) for breakfast
    Pepper Salami, cheese and rye bread for lunch
    MH for dinner
    Trail mix, fruit bars, power bars whenever a snack is needed
    Hot chocolate before bed
    Sheep meat with Montreal Stake Spice once a tag is cut
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Don't forget coffee!!

I like to have a weight gainer shake in the morning for breakfast along with my oatmeal. Nothing like getting 1200 calories first thing in the am. Your going to burn 4-5000 calories a day depending on how much hiking your doing with your pack. I've been wearing my Fitbit at work lately doing single stem heli logging. Packing a saw a 2 in 1 of gas and oil and food and water for the day in your pack is about 50-60 pounds of gear and I'm burning 4500-5300 calories in a 24 hour period.
    During a sheep hunt you will still loose weight eating 3000 calories a day I figure unless your in a great spot and can just glass all day on your ass.
    eat lots of fats and slow burning carbs
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I used to pack granola/energy bars on my hunts, but over the last few years I've found/learned they are loaded with sugars and "empty" carbs. So many of them are loaded with sugars and, while they give you a feeling of "energy", they don't "sustain" you over the long term (watch out for ingredients like glucose and fructose).
    Pure protein (jerky?), nuts/seeds, fat (dried banana chips?) have all worked well for me.
    I don't worry about variety even on a 2 week hunt. When I'm done I know I'm going to have tons of cheeseburgers, fries, and beer.
    Remember that when you look at the ingredients, every 4 grams of sugar is the same as one sugar cube...

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    I take the Nuun tablets too to stay hydrated.
    What's a Nunn tablet? I assume an electrolyte pill sort of thing?

Looks like an alka seltzer and you drop it in water.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    What's a Nunn tablet? I assume an electrolyte pill sort of thing?

Breakfast - 2 oatmeal packs and coffee. One vacuum sealed bag for two days of snacks has 2-3 Swiss farmer sausage, baby bells or individual Cracker Barrel cheese, trail mix, home made dried fruit, kit kat chunky, gum bears.
    supper MH, turkey tetrazzini is favourite. Oh yeah, all day everyday, big fat dip of chew. Best of luck, look forward to some pictures.

Thanks for the info guys! I got my feed bag up to 4000kal per day, coming in at 2.4 lbs (with packaging) Approx macro split is 54% carbs, 23% fats, 23% protein

Here's what I have and approx calorie per ounce from highest to lowest

• Fritos corn chips, 159kal per oz
    • Nestle Coffee Crisp, 147kal per oz
    • Trail Mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, chocolate almonds, & chocolate acai berries, 140kal per oz
    • Schneiders Pepperette dry pepperoni, 128kal per oz
    • Cliff Bar, nut butter filled, 127kal per oz
    • Cheddar cheese single, 122kal per oz
    • Vector protein bar, 121kal per oz
    • Mtn House breakfast, various, avg is approx 119kal per oz
    • Lipton chicken cup a soup, 115kal per oz
    • SunRype Superfruit bar, 92kal per oz
    • Mtn House dinner, various, avg is approx 77kal per oz
    • Sesame seed whole grain bagel w/ two tablespoons each of crunchy peanut butter & honey, 85kal per oz (heavy! thought it would be higher up the list)
    • elk jerky, 66kal per oz

Avg is 105kal per oz +/-

For a long 10+ day hunt I would be leaving out a few items!!!
    Last edited by todbartell; 08-23-2017 at 09:52 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004