Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for sheep hunt

Food for sheep hunt

Working on my feed bag for a upcoming sheep hunt, here's what I have

• Cliff bar
    • Peanut butter & honey bagel sandwich
    • Nestle Coffee Crisp chocolate bar
    • Trail mix made of almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, and chocolate covered almonds
    • Elk jerky
    • Vector protein bar
    • Mtn House / Backpackers Pantry

Sitting at around 2600kal +/- and about 20oz (1.25lbs) per day. 130kal per oz. I have plenty of body fat too

Wondering how much variety you guys take? I will only be going for 5-6 days so probably not as important as a 10-14+ day hunt. Any tips or advice? I may add in a Mtn House granola / blueberry into the mix too, enjoyed them while goat hunting a few years back
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Food for sheep hunt

I usually throw in a couple tins of smoked oysters and some Mr noodle

Hmm pretty decent list..i buy a box ofIdaho potato flakes separate them into 2 fist sized portions in vacuum sealed bags.add the flakes to lasagna..etc gives some more oomph" volume to mountain house. add extra water..
    I have tried home meals dehydrated..better quality than ME but a PITA to do.
    I like trail mix but dislike the weight..lol

In your trailmix add some walnut halves.
    Good luck on your hunt !!

Have a look at ProBars, I find they have a better taste than Clif bars. Similar size /weight, but about $1 more per bar.
    Cheese/crackers/ Grimms' dried mini pepperoni, dried fruit for lunch
    Gu Energy gel or chomps for a boost during a break on a long sh*tty climb.
    A few squares of good dark chocolate for desert can make the taste of a bad MH meal go away...
    Hot apple cider or Chai tea is a nice after supper drink after a long day. If some spiced rum falls in it, all the better...

I have tried Heather's choice breakfasts and suppers. With the exchange and shipping, more money than MH or BP. But tasty, calorie dense and smaller packaging. I alternate HC and BP for suppers.
    Last edited by wsquared; 08-22-2017 at 11:20 PM.

I used to focus on variety, now I'm more geared to what I like best, though that's on a 12 day hunt.
    MH Chicken and Rice with a small handful of BP Pantry dried vegetables thrown in is awesome for big calorie burn days.

I find regular Cliff bars a bit heavy for protein/calorie content, so tried some of the 30gram protein bars that Costco sells and love them. (Just like the Cliff Builder bars, but 10 extra grams of protein)

Big fan of instant oatmeal for b-fast, as well as MH breakfast skillets.

Dried mangoes, jerky and Eatmore bars are great lunch items.

The pre packaged cheese slices are good as are landjager, salami or any other cured meat. Another thing worth looking into are the energy gummies that runners use they can make long hikes go a lot better. I take the Nuun tablets too to stay hydrated.

Finn Crisp (stacked rye crisp that holds up well in the pack) for the tuna and Asiago Cheese
    Emergen-C sports drink powder.....orange or lemon-lime......prevents cramps for me
    Powdered milk for breakfast and in tea/coffee
    Otherwise its a decent list combined with other poster's ideas.

Good luck on the hunt!!!!!

I would throw in a few packs of dried soup mix for those days you get to camp wet and cold or have yet to set up and temperature dropping fast and need something hot quick to get core temperature up. Even a broth mix/packet will work then throw in salami meat, dried onion and veggies and cheese. Dried crimini mushrooms are delicious. I like to bring a small brick of butter between two guys - melt butter in pan, add salami and sear then add water, broth, cheese etc. - tasty treat that will make u feel better quickly.

Cheese, salami, butter and peanut/almond butter are my choices for the heavier/high calorie foods.

I kinda focus on what my activity level is going to be like. When I have a solid trek into camp and plan on daily hikes, its mostly quick carbs and sugar I want. So bars, granola and pressed fruit like fruit to go work for me. For camp its protein and fat I want too keep me warm, so mountain house type meals with best macro nutrient content, my favorite macaroni and cheese product. My comfort food is soup mix and drink it out of my coffee mug. Variety wise I could pretty much eat the same thing for a week. Electrolyte replacement isn't a bad idea either.