Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Food for sheep hunt

Re: Food for sheep hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    I arrowed a Stone on a backpack hunt last year when I was 63. Just got back from an NWT Dall hunt......arrowed a nice Dall! You just go slower when you are old, but it is a great reason to stay in shape/get in shape. When I was starting archery sheep hunting in 1980, never dreamed I'd complete a grand slam (ever) when I was 64, but it happened.
    That is a Very WONDERFULL achievemeant there Buddy ! GRAN Slam Sheep with a Bow and Arrow ! AWESOME ! Not many hunters will ever get there ! Congrats !

Cheers Jim

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    That is a Very WONDERFULL achievemeant there Buddy ! GRAN Slam Sheep with a Bow and Arrow ! AWESOME ! Not many hunters will ever get there ! Congrats !

Cheers Jim
    x10000 great job man!!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Well I'm happy with my food bag, next time will take half as much jerky. And try to find something higher in calories per oz to replace it with
    Yeah nobody cares man, did you kill a sheep?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Yeah nobody cares man, did you kill a sheep?!!!!
    season doesn't open until the 20th, just went for a look
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

food list 2.0 for upcoming sheep hunt :

• chocolate coconut chews, mango pomegranate chews, reese mini cups, 147kal per oz
    • Trail Mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, chocolate almonds, & chocolate acai berries, 142kal per oz
    • Cliff Bar, nut butter filled, 127kal per oz
    • dry salami, 120kal per oz
    • Lipton chicken cup a soup, 115kal per oz
    • Cliff Builder protein bar, 113kal per oz
    • Mtn House dinner, various, avg is approx 77kal per oz

Coming in at 1.4lbs per day (w/ MH) , 2680 kcal . Approx breakdown of 28% fats, 56% carbs, 16% protein
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

guest Guest

Dried onion, seasoning salt, pepper, garlic clove ........ To marinate your back straps in or rub onto your back straps or ribs when ya tag the critter, it's TERRIFIC !

not even two additional ounces , well worth it!

Only read 1/2 the thread but I would say your second list is a lot of food! I packed heavy on food this year and was up around 1.7lb per day....but you gotta carry it

All I would have added from the original list beside coffee is an energy like shot blocks and drink mixes (nuun, single serving packets of ice tea, whatever)

I was also wishing I packed a dessert every day.

Oh ya, put some bacon on that peanut butter and honey bagel, learned that one from Rackmastr, life changing

Good Luck!
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    I arrowed a Stone on a backpack hunt last year when I was 63. Just got back from an NWT Dall hunt......arrowed a nice Dall! You just go slower when you are old, but it is a great reason to stay in shape/get in shape. When I was starting archery sheep hunting in 1980, never dreamed I'd complete a grand slam (ever) when I was 64, but it happened.
    Good on you i still hunt sheep at 58 but not with a bow that really takes commitment
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess