Thread: WMU 6 : 6 Late moose hunt

WMU 6 : 6 Late moose hunt

Hey guys.
    Brother and I have set our goal to harvest our first swamp donkey (lol sorry TARCHER) this season. We were lucky enough to draw in 6-6 October 27 to November 15

I chose the area by total chance.

Met a gentleman on the ferry back from Haida Gwaii we got to chatting and he said watch for moose on the hwy by burns lake . Well what do you know come through the area at night and almost run into a couple moose. Had me a bit shook as they came out of nowhere. My partner wakes up and I tell him what happened. next thing you know I am saying what is that up there am I imagining things after a long trip?
    Nope three more moose on the road !

So any ways long story short I appplied near there based on odds and was lucky with my first leh authorization .

We will be setting up a wall tent and will have the wives kids and rest of family up for a week or so we will be mostly road hunt while they are there (my 6 yr old daughter refuses to be left out of a hunt, my 4 yr old son is a different story haha)

The following week we are hoping it's just the guys so we can hike in to areas we have keyed in on. It is post rut so we figure they will be feeding trying to recover.

Looks like the area has a lot of logging near the center of the m.u. and limited access to other areas and they look THICK! we will probably focus in on a few lakes.

If anyone has any general experience or advice on what not to do it would be much appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: WMU 6 : 6 Late moose hunt

Get ready to earn your moose don't be lazy. Moose numbers are way down in this area. You also will be hunting right after GOS. I won't be home for 7 days but when I get back I will give you some advice.

I bet I probably no where you see the moose on the hwy lol

Congrats getting a tag. I've hunted this area for the last 4 years, successful on two occasions.

Also, been doing some scouting this year and I see moose tracks in a lot of areas, plus one moose that a logging truck got.

That time of year the bulls start to group up so an opportunity could turn into two.

You can expect a 500 yard shot (or a pass) in some areas as well as there has been active logging in the area.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Yes watch the logging trucks it seems with the drivers they are either really good or really bad lol

We will be in there on the early draw Sept 10 to 24 , have hunted in there for over 35 years , but only once in the late season and there was major snow, Take the Augier main FRS road just East of Burns , go to Taltipin Lake , great place to camp and hunt from , good luck.
    Last edited by Machinist; 08-24-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Get ready to earn your moose don't be lazy. Moose numbers are way down in this area. You also will be hunting right after GOS. I won't be home for 7 days but when I get back I will give you some advice.

I bet I probably no where you see the moose on the hwy lol
    Thanks for the reply.. wouldn't be hunting if it was easy... best place for easy meat is the grocery store lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post

You can expect a 500 yard shot (or a pass) in some areas as well as there has been active logging in the area.
    Thank you for the advice . I did notice the sheer size of the cuts in this area they are super cuts! 500 yards is a bit farther than I am comfortable. The shooting range in mission only goes out to 300 but I will keep practising!

Quote Originally Posted by brownmancheng View Post
    Thanks for the reply.. wouldn't be hunting if it was easy... best place for easy meat is the grocery store lmao!

It truly is a big change from past numbers. I live there and did not bother hunting moose last year. Talitipn is a good starting point look for the Aderson all ways a few hiding around the area just need them to show

I need to look at my maps at home before I can add more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    It truly is a big change from past numbers. I live there and did not bother hunting moose last year. Talitipn is a good starting point look for the Aderson all ways a few hiding around the area just need them to show

I need to look at my maps at home before I can add more.
    I have heard there is a big drop on region 6 moose populations , when I applied expected odds were 18 to 1 but it ended up 2 to 1 . This hunt seems to have garnered less interest this season and population could be part of the reason...

One thing is for sure there are many more moose there than where I live so I will give it my all to make this happen

I agree with the low moose numbers in 6-06 , We have taken many Bulls out of the area over the years , it wasn't unusual to fill our tags within the first few days of a two week trip and then see lots of other bulls while we were camped in there, but in the last five years I have found it increasingly harder to find them , and we know the area very well from all of the time we have spent in there , we always manage to fill our tag but it takes a lot of steady pounding to get one . I am suprised they still run the GOS from Oct 20 to 26 with such low numbers in the area , also the Natives are hitting the cows and calfs pretty hard in the area, still its a great area to camp and hunt , usually lots of grouse on the weir road and bears are plentiful and if you like fishing , Taltipin is a great burbot lake.