Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arrows/tips for small game?

Re: Arrows/tips for small game?

Just get the black blunt tips....hits hard and after impact arroe dosnt go far....I have used mine on some small game....hell even a big grey tree rat....black rubber tip smashed it then dropped....was perfect and was very pleased with the new crossbow.....still cant bbelieve the deal i got on that

Quote Originally Posted by B.C.Boy(100%) View Post
    ^^^
    I do that, but with quarters.
    Buddy uses washers no need to drill

I'm packing these around in my quiver alongside the road heads this year. Shot straight at 20yds from the target. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/23125/g5-small-game-head

The best is to make sure of your back drop and get the right angle on the critter so you are shooting into an old stump or a mound of dirt. I have tried different small game heads and found they are expensive and are far from a magic wand. As long as they fly straight I just use beat up field tips now and beat up arrows for shooting grouse. I like the idea of a bottle cap or a washer, should catch your arrow on lots of brush/grass. I also use flu-flu fletchings on my grouse arrows which I believe slows your arrows down a pile especially down range.

I ended up seeing 4 grouse and having a crack at two of them with small game tips. Missed both by a hair. Recovered 0 arrows. Heading out to try again this weekend... will watch for birds on my way out on Sunday if I don't come home with a deer before that (wishful thinking!) Switching to rifle for deer on Sunday but leaving the shorty at home.

I use spiral wrap flu flus out of my compound haven't lost an arrow yet

Saw that grouse was open where I was going this season but wasn't planning on pursuing them at all and just brought regular broadheads, also wasn't planning on that being the only wildlife out and about in the dry heat though. Day 3 I decided to screw on a field point and take a crack at a grouse, got the grouse but the arrow went another 60 yards or so and sailed into the bush, never to be found again. Will definitely try and stick to uphill shots only and pick up some small game heads next time, even with organic chicken prices these days there isn't $12 worth of meat on those birds

I saw 20 or so grouse over the weekend and had a decent crack at 4 of them. Apparently I suck. I am consistent for the most part on targets, but I seem to blow my process (not being level, not making sure I have the peep perfectly lined up with the housing, jerking the trigger, breathing, aiming low for close shots, etc) when I am going after grouse. I lost 3 arrows. All it takes is to be less than perfect on any of those things to throw me off enough to miss the average Region 2 ruffie.

With bow season over, I don't think I will be doing anymore grouse hunting with the bow but will continue to practice and maybe check to see if there are some bow only places close to home where I can hunt deer.

Grouse Fever !!!!
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Grouse Fever !!!!
    I think that is exactly what was happening. Live targets are definitely different especially small ones.

Despite the misses, I am still reasonably happy with the shots even if it eats away at me a little. I am going to keep practicing until everything in my process is unconscious muscle memory and automatic. At this point I still have to think. Stance, draw, anchor, level, align, use bottom of finger instead of top of finger on the release trigger.

For now, I will head back there with a shotgun and harvest them the way nature intended
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-11-2017 at 09:33 AM.