Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrows/tips for small game?

Arrows/tips for small game?

I was wondering if it is even worthwhile. From practicing on a deactivated road, I have found that if I miss the target, I usually end up damaging both the arrow and the tip and/or losing the arrow.

Does this happen often when you should grouse around rocky surfaces? If not, what is your setup? Blunt tip?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arrows/tips for small game?

Several options on small game heads. Most are designed to stop penetration by 'thumping' for a kill and designed to snag and flip your arrow to avoid underground searches.

Hunting grouse and shooting down a road yes your arrow can skip off and be really hard to find or even break. If you use a judo point or snaro brush and the arrow tumbling stops it from going so far.

best way to save arrows is select your angles so you have a backstop. I used old broad heads and aimed for the base of the neck for years. As of last year I took a liking to snaro heads

More fletches will slow your arrow..a heavyer arrow will also last longer eg 2514 with a carbon glued inside and rifle brass for a head.

Cool Re: Arrows/tips for small game?

Never have recovered an arrow yet.
    So, I use "discards" from those I print at 100 yards.
    And a 22 with a rather short barrel

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks Nog! Awesome picture!! I guess for me discards will come few and far between until I start shooting longer distances. I have one with damaged fletching but it still flies good at 20-30 yards lol

I have a couple where the threading area that holds the field tip splintered. I imagine that could just be cut off and then I could improvise blunt tips. Cutting carbon would be messy business though.

I'll probably just gamble an arrow if the opportunity arises and worry about making it economical next season. I have only seen have a dozen ruffies this year anyway.

If you pick your shot angles you can have an arrow last along time. I have arrows that have been used over and over more times than I can count. This is shooting an apa m7 30inch draw set at 70lbs so not lobing them either

Judos definitely help in not losing them but rubber blunts are better for hitting hard and they much cheaper. Them SGP's (small game points) are even better but I'm too cheap to use them routinely.

Beer bottle caps ... hole drilled in the middle screw field point in ...

good fun
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

^^^
    I do that, but with quarters.