Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: solo hunt for mulie

Re: solo hunt for mulie

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    With this type of hunt , I need a partner, at 56 I would be going slow a easy .
    Just bring the horse with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    Sheep are tiny animals compared to a mature mule buck. But I have manage it but it wasn't easy not sure if I could pull it off now.
    Tiny? Either you're consistently shooting some tiny goats or some massive mule deer?

Are you guys packing out all the trimmings and burger meat too? Because most people hauling a mule deer off a mountain do not. I'm not seeing how else you're coming up with 130lbs of boned out meat.

Boned out quarters and back straps .... what else do you need? Yeah, rib meat is edible and you shouldn't leave edible portions behind but so are the heart and liver and people leave those behind all the time.

Proguide even mentions in one of his videos, right as he packs out one of his blacktails solo, that he doesn't take things like rib meat.

Granted blacktails are smaller, but some of his blacktail have been bigger than most people's mule deer sooo...

Solo hunting is not easy. Many, many trips of trial and error to find a system that works for you. Everyone is different. Getting a deboned buck and antler out of the hills is easy if you have an empty rucksack. The problem is all the gear you need to make the hunt a success. This adds weight and space.

guest Guest

We've deboned everything, taking flanks, neck etc etc. Right on the spot. All edible portions. Skeleton is left remaining for the critters. But ya, 130 - 140 deboned as in no bones at all is a Big Mulie. Hence one buck between two of us plus camp to make it out in one trip. Them early season bucks are terrific eating and worth every drop of sweat and tears to be successful.

Good luck to you, my pack trips are my most memorable and rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistchen View Post
    Solo hunting is not easy. Many, many trips of trial and error to find a system that works for you. Everyone is different. Getting a deboned buck and antler out of the hills is easy if you have an empty rucksack. The problem is all the gear you need to make the hunt a success. This adds weight and space.
    This. You pretty much need everything that a sheep hunter going for 2 weeks needs, except less food. And for most people that's going to be 40lbs of gear alone. Youre probably looking at 10lb just for binos, spotter, tripod and ammo.