Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: solo hunt for mulie

Re: solo hunt for mulie

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    Been there done that, head,antlers, deboned meat. 130 lbs plus rifle. (Plus 3 days of personal recovery)
    Haha I was thinking the exact same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Pack up camp, stash it, come back in a week or two.
    I'll second this and have done it before. The pack out can be a bit rough on the body as, depending where you are, it's usually not all downhill. Give your body a couple days to recover and then head back for your gear. I always leave things tight in camp knowing that it could be several days before I return.

Keep in mind a decent snowfall late in the season while you're away could make getting back a lot tougher.

Ourea brings up some great points as well.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

guest Guest

We always went in with the rule knowing with two guys, your only harvesting one good buck between us, if we were expecting to be out with buck and full camp in one trip.

with three guys we stretched it to two deboned bucks and it was killer. But worth every second. A fully mature deboned mulie is no small sack o potatoes ..... But .....I'd sign up tomorrow to do it now.

These are in areas of mountainous steep heavy timber to alpine hikes within a full day pack of an accessible road . A full looooong day LOL.

Getting away in the high country brings on special times .......... Yes it's doable, or as others have said, return for a second trip. The work required to get into these places is worth it.

CT

Sheep hunters do it all the time. And I don't think a deboned sheep is much different than your average deboned mule deer.

Either one is going to suck but I'm hoping to have a first hand report come Sept 5th

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Sheep hunters do it all the time. And I don't think a deboned sheep is much different than your average deboned mule deer.

Either one is going to suck but I'm hoping to have a first hand report come Sept 5th
    true ...... But, your so dam hungry from busting your back side for days .......you eat 1/2 the critter in there, then pack out. Fresh sheep over the fire, yummy! Ah heck, pig out, eat as much of that big monster Mulie as ya can, it's doable then .....

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Sheep are tiny animals compared to a mature mule buck. But I have manage it but it wasn't easy not sure if I could pull it off now.

Just take a partner with you, its pretty tough doing something like that alone and chances are good your going to be doing alot of it in the dark. I've done it and it is just too much stress now.

Three of us packed out 3 caribou and our camp in one go all downhill, our packs were stupid heavy, the type where you lay on your your back and have your buddies pull you up and your knees started shaking we were young and yes stupid.

Point of my reply to post don't kill yourself I swear my knees feel it today 25 years later!!

Virtually all my hunting is solo. Two of my last three goats were packed out alone.

Debone, and let the meat air/drip overnight before your packout. Sheds lots of weight that way.

With this type of hunt , I need a partner, at 56 I would be going slow a easy .