Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manfrotto's $85 tripods

Manfrotto's $85 tripods

So i needed a new tripod and wanted a light weight one. Bought this cheap Manfrotto on Amazon for $85

https://www.amazon.ca/Manfrotto-MKCO...nfrotto+tripod

I just thought i'd give a heads up to anyone looking for a new tripod

The tripod is actually pretty decent for something that weighs 1lb 13oz and costs less than $100. I looked at some Vortex offerings costing quite a bit more than that and they were none better than this one as far as stability goes. They all had some play in the head.

It's great for photography, but with a 3lb scope on it you're pushing it. It will be a little wobbly while you move the scope. It does wobble a little while focusing as well. But, once it's set and your hands are off it, it's perfectly fine. But If you are on a budget and want a tripod that weighs LESS than 2lb, well, then you have to make a compromise here or there.

Edit .... i should mention that by "wobble" i mean more like "vibrate". It's simply not a heavy-duty tripod that's going to remain perfectly stable while you fiddle with the scope. I feel like that should be expected out of any <2lb tripod.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 08-21-2017 at 12:46 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Manfrotto's $85 tripods

Doesn't look too bad, but Ive got two questions/comments for hunters:
    1). do legs index into a second notch when kicked out wider at the base, or is it a friction based system?
    2). Center pole looks too long to use with the tripod set up over your legs in a low position? Does the center pole unscrew to shorten it? If not you could always hack saw it off to say 100 mm overall length.

Thanks for posting!

Is the head removable?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I bought the same one. Was happy with the price, cannot wait to see how it performs!

Oh, and to answer the above questions to the best of my ability:
    1 - friction based system, does not index to a notch
    2 - center pole screw allows you to raise it, but it is indeed long. You would need to extend the legs to fit them over your own legs.
    3 - head does not appear removable.

Bought this tripod along with a nikon p900 3 days ago! I think it's going to work well if you only put light stuff on it. I wouldn't trust putting heavier dslr's/scope on it.

No the head is not removable. Yes the center pole is long. I think i will cut mine. I don't think it would be very good fully extended anyways with a 3lb scope on it.

I intend to use it to glass only when sitting so the center leg is of no use to me anyways.

As mentioned the legs do not lock when spread out. Just friction

Another option in that price range is a Slick Sprint Pro II. The center pole unscrews leaving a short 100mm section in place and the legs do lock at a wider and narrower basal setup. I've used mine for 7 seasons and it works OK as a sitting tripod with a 65mm Swaro on it. 28 ounces with the center pole extension pipe removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    Another option in that price range is a Slick Sprint Pro II. The center pole unscrews leaving a short 100mm section in place and the legs do lock at a wider and narrower basal setup. I've used mine for 7 seasons and it works OK as a sitting tripod with a 65mm Swaro on it. 28 ounces with the center pole extension pipe removed.
    Head removable?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    That looks like a great option as well. Just over 2lb but with more features. Nice.