Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should "mad cow disease" in game meat be a concern?

Should "mad cow disease" in game meat be a concern?

A Family Member forwarded this article. Its an interesting read. Does anyone else have any info on it? thoughts?

http://www.environews.tv/081517-veni...moving-humans/

Thanks
    Phil
    First year hunting 2016. Trips scouting/hunting 35. km driven 4500km. moose count 2 (our group got). grouse count 5

Experience gained and ready to be used for 2017...priceless.

2017 Results
    Trips out scouting 4 (2100km)
    trips hunting 1 (4200km)
    1 bison
    4 rabbits
    16 grouse

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Should "mad cow disease" in game meat be a concern?

If Raincoast cared about wildlife, this is what they'd put their effort toward.

As a hunter, I discard diseased animals, leaving them at the kill site if there's indication of any health hazards. So far it's only happened with small game, so I haven't lost a tag over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

This new evidence showing the increased potential that CWD may infect humans is the most significant human health and wildlife issue we have faced since the glaciers marched from the northern world.

International governments have no idea how to deal with this problem while maintaining economic order and long held social norms.

I spoke with Darrel Rowledge today in our weekly conference on this matter. Health and agricultural agencies understand just how dire the situation is becoming, and as a result have decided to ignore science and policy in favour of turtling. The requirements of what we have to do to control CWD is basically unimaginable to actually put into practice.

CWD will change how we live and treat wildlife and agriculture, how we hunt and how governments will have to act for the sake of society.

I've discussed this at some length over on Alberta Outdoorsman. This thread will offer some additional discussion on the topic.
    http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=317157
    Will update as possible in light of new information and discussions with government agencies at provincial, national and international levels.

Meateater podcast recently had an epidode with an infectious disease expert and the topic of conversation was cwd. Pretty scary stuff.

As a new hunter, is their signs that I should watch out for with deer elk and moose? is there areas or regions that it seams to be more evident?
    First year hunting 2016. Trips scouting/hunting 35. km driven 4500km. moose count 2 (our group got). grouse count 5

Experience gained and ready to be used for 2017...priceless.

2017 Results
    Trips out scouting 4 (2100km)
    trips hunting 1 (4200km)
    1 bison
    4 rabbits
    16 grouse

Quote Originally Posted by mrtires24 View Post
    As a new hunter, is their signs that I should watch out for with deer elk and moose? is there areas or regions that it seams to be more evident?
    So far no CWD has been discovered in BC, that said the disease is carried for a long time before any noticeable decline in the effected animal.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    If Raincoast cared about wildlife, this is what they'd put their effort toward.

As a hunter, I discard diseased animals, leaving them at the kill site if there's indication of any health hazards. So far it's only happened with small game, so I haven't lost a tag over it.
    Not going to help with CWD as the study found dead rotting game becomes 'super sites' for the disease spreading to scavengers and even the soil, rocks and then uptake to the plants.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Meateater podcast recently had an epidode with an infectious disease expert and the topic of conversation was cwd. Pretty scary stuff.

mrtires24: if you havent already, this is definitely worth listening too. Its a great interview and I learned a ton about CWD.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtires24 View Post
    FAQ sheet from OMAFRA

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/11-025.htm

Is there anything that destroys the prions? Fire, time?
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand