Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P rated goodyear wrangler duratrac

P rated goodyear wrangler duratrac

So I almost bought a set of duratrac's at canadian tire today on sale, but they are P rated. Whats everyones thoughts on a P rated (think its 4ply) tire for use on Vancouver Island logging roads (lots of rocks)? I also am looking at the BFG KO2's for not too much more money and they are a 10ply tire (E rated?). Tires would be going on a nissan frontier so the load carrying capacity is probably not a big issue but i'm interested in the resistance to punctures and sidewall durability. Also I think the P rated duratrac's have a little less tread depth then the duratrac's with a higher load rating.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: P rated goodyear wrangler duratrac

Love the all terrain's, and they should last very well on the light Nissan Frontier. I would be cautious with a P rated tired, especially on the island. From what I remember, there are lots of very sharp rocks. Good luck....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Lots of rocks means go with the thicker side wall

BFG KO2 no questions asked.

P tires are JUNK ! U NEED. C D Or E for any back woods roads RJ

I just looked on the Canadian Tire website the light truck D and E rated tires are on sale as well

Here is a simple write up on the internet about the difference between P and LT tires....

P tires refer to Passenger tires and LT refers to Light Truck tires. ... Another difference that can be seen between the two types, is that the Light truck tires come with maximum inflation. Unlike the Passenger tires, the Light Truck ones are used for carrying more loads.

If you look at the inside of the drivers door jamb, there should be a sticker that recommends the tire size and rating, this will be the factory recommendation. I will guess it will say a "D" rating. It won't hurt to get an "E" rated tire, but they made ride a bit stiffer than a lesser rated tire. I would avoid the "P" rated, even for just street driving.

I have owned "E" rated Duratracks however and still lost sidewalls quite easily. I would take the BFG's anyday.
    Last edited by Buckmeister; 08-19-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    I just looked on the Canadian Tire website the light truck D and E rated tires are on sale as well
    Thanks I'll check that out. I think they must not have had them in stock in my size. If I can get them in a D or E rated tire any thoughts on the duratrac vs KO2s

I have tried lots of tires in the bush and I would put Duratracs on my truck again, I have e rated Duratracs on right now and will buy another set unless I could get Toyos for a similar price.

10 ply for sure, I've sliced right through 6 ply on logging roads like a hot knife through butter. Nikko or Toyo.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon