Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving us all a bad name!!

Re: Giving us all a bad name!!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandroamer View Post
    having known many "whitys" that do this sort of thing, not fair to automatically blame it on the aboriginal people. As an aboriginal myself who respects the land this sort of comment gets to me. But don't get me wrong there are some that abuse it and give aboriginals a very bad image and ruin it for us. Just because there is a carcass on the side of the road doesn't mean it was an aboriginal person

You are correct all can be guilty of this could very well be anyone any race

Quote Originally Posted by campking View Post
    We have a cabin up mount baldy and my daughter just sent me a photo of a gut pile, the animal was shot in the middle of the main road to Oliver and
    dragged off to the side of the road, gutted and the gut pile left there for all to see.

What the hell is wrong with people no attempt to even drag it to the bush where it would not be visible to everyone!!

I thought of posting the photo (graphic) but probably no point as I do not think from a gut pile you can tell what the animal was, I think bear are open
    so probably not a poached animal.
    Oh come on now...it won't last 24 hours and really its just a gut pile...bear aren't open right now are they? Probably FN
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Oh come on now...it won't last 24 hours and really its just a gut pile...bear aren't open right now are they? Probably FN
    man ive seen gut piles rot away to nothing instead of getting eaten....usually ravens and yotes will get it pretty quick tho

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Lots of hunter share your view on keeping gut piles out of sight in busy areas. I was taught this from a young age even though they don't last long.

To others yes gut piles can be eaten up fast by scavengers but not always. They can hang around for awhile seen it first hand. As a trapper I have set out bait stations that have taken weeks to be hit hard enough to be impacted.

Dont assume things are always cleaned up fast it's not always the case

358mag could also be correct that it was not left by a hunter with the limited opertunity available to hunters this time of year good chance it was not a hunter. More likely a poacher or FN that are not restricted by hunting seasons
    as a trapper you are setting bait stations in the winter, where they freeze up and stop emitting a big odor, this aint the winter. They don't last long usually...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    as a trapper you are setting bait stations in the winter, where they freeze up and stop emitting a big odor, this aint the winter. They don't last long usually...
    Read whole post watched gut piles sit as well. Drove past 3 gut piles everyday of a 7 day deer hunt during the first week of Oct they were there when I left

As for bait stations not being found do to low odour because of winter you are forgetting as a trapper I use scents, scent drags, and trapping canines my bait is often well past fresh. Trust me the odour and scent for scavengers to follow is well beyond a gut pile lol. Also trapping starts Nov 1 when I trapped southern BC low elevation cold was no issue

putting meat or guts in the bush does not mean scavengers get a phone call telling them where it is at times the larger ones take time to find it.

yes at times they are gone within 48hrs but this should not be assumed.

Hunters should not make excuses for being too lazy to keep gut piles off main roads. Not hard to keep them off the road I have had no issue doing it for 26 years

I fully agree, get the gut pile out of sight. But I also have to agree that in this case, as the only thing in season is Black Bears on PRIVATE PROPERTY and this bear was shot in the middle of the road it was either poachers or first nations. Unfortunately, it will be regular hunters that people will blame.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    I fully agree, get the gut pile out of sight. But I also have to agree that in this case, as the only thing in season is Black Bears on PRIVATE PROPERTY and this bear was shot in the middle of the road it was either poachers or first nations. Unfortunately, it will be regular hunters that people will blame.
    Doubtful that poachers would gut an animal in the middle of a well used road...

The gut pile was probably there for not too long, I have shot my fair share of game and it looked to be larger than any gut pile I have seen from a bear. You don't think anyone would shoot a cow in the middle of the road do you?
    The tire tracks backed right up to whatever it was so possibly could have been a heavier animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post

Any chance you can post the picture?

I can try would it be ok with the moderators?
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Any chance you can post the picture?