Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wokkpash/Churchill Mine Rd/Crossing Racing River

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: Wokkpash/Churchill Mine Rd/Crossing Racing River

You have to go up river a bit from where the road crosses. I have crossed it when it has been high enough for water to be flowing over the seat lol....
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

We towed a guy back across the racing a few years ago. He crossed and went hunting, then it rained. He waited it out for a few days then crossed on foot, we were camped at wokpash and went back with him and a long rope the next day, he waded back across and we towed him back.
    Some of my friends were stuck on the other side for almost a week a couple years before that.
    From what I understand there's a whole lot of nice gear in the racing river thanks to that crossing.

Have fun

Thanks everyone for the input!

I just heard from a friend that's up there right now that The Muskwa is low right now...so I wonder if the Racing river is low too!

Last year I went up aug 25th it rained until I left on the 6th.

the crossing was beyond blown out and you could hear the boulders bouncing there was no way to drive across.

I was solo and no way would I have attempted anything with it.

Other years it seemed easy.

I can text my buddy who lives there and get a update if you really need.

[QUOTE=danwar3;1928994]interesting.

I wonder how bad it is right now.

I checked the weather and its raining a bit.....

found many many posts about hikers doing the Wokkpash loop hiking trail and they just simply walking across the racing river ... if they could walk it I could drive it.

Will update on how it goes in 2 weeks![/QUOTE

You don't cross the Racing doing the Wokkpash trail, the trail leads away from the Racing

[QUOTE=sheep hunter;1929172]
    Quote Originally Posted by danwar3 View Post
    interesting.

I wonder how bad it is right now.

I checked the weather and its raining a bit.....

found many many posts about hikers doing the Wokkpash loop hiking trail and they just simply walking across the racing river ... if they could walk it I could drive it.

Will update on how it goes in 2 weeks![/QUOTE

You don't cross the Racing doing the Wokkpash trail, the trail leads away from the Racing
    pretty sure you have to cross the Racing unless they moved it lol....can't get to the mine without crossing it.

Hiking the Wokkpash loop, most people start from the designated route on the Churchill mine road. This involves crossing MacDonald creek, and getting to the trailhead at Wokkpash creek. The trail goes up along Wokkpash creek to Wokkpash lake. Then hike out the MacDonald valley back to the highway. Crossing Wokkpash creek or Racing river is not involved.

On getting into the Churchill mine site, you are crossing MacDonald creek, Wokkpash creek and the Racing River. I know of incidents on all three wrecking vehicles, and could have been tragically worse. Use caution, it takes very little rain to make the crossing dangerous, especially the Racing.

More info can be found at http://www.TourismNorthernRockies.ca

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    Hiking the Wokkpash loop, most people start from the designated route on the Churchill mine road. This involves crossing MacDonald creek, and getting to the trailhead at Wokkpash creek. The trail goes up along Wokkpash creek to Wokkpash lake. Then hike out the MacDonald valley back to the highway. Crossing Wokkpash creek or Racing river is not involved.

On getting into the Churchill mine site, you are crossing MacDonald creek, Wokkpash creek and the Racing River. I know of incidents on all three wrecking vehicles, and could have been tragically worse. Use caution, it takes very little rain to make the crossing dangerous, especially the Racing.

More info can be found at http://www.TourismNorthernRockies.ca

OK very true. I am just used to calling the trip to Churchill the Wokkpash. We lost a nice lime green arctic cat for about 30 mins once and the guy couldn't swim. The cat tumbled downstream under water for awhile before a handle bar showed itself and then the rescue began....was a close call, but was total human error of not being able to read the water.

wow! what was the condition of the arctic cat after the tumbling? did you get it running after?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    OK very true. I am just used to calling the trip to Churchill the Wokkpash. We lost a nice lime green arctic cat for about 30 mins once and the guy couldn't swim. The cat tumbled downstream under water for awhile before a handle bar showed itself and then the rescue began....was a close call, but was total human error of not being able to read the water.
    That is exactly what I am worried about when I attempt to go across... good news is I'll have a GoPro to capture it all on film if this things do go bad