Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wokkpash/Churchill Mine Rd/Crossing Racing River

Wokkpash/Churchill Mine Rd/Crossing Racing River

Has anyone recently attempted to cross the racing river?

Would I be able to drive through with my f350 or ATV?

Hoping to drive to the end of Churchill mine road

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wokkpash/Churchill Mine Rd/Crossing Racing River

That's a designated route, last time I was in there, you could drive a truck as far as the Racing, but quad only from there to the Mine.
    It's been raining and water levels are a bit high right now. Might not get across with a quad.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Several years ago in low-ish water I turtled when I got there with ATV, we ended up crossing with waders and walking and walking. There was a couple guys across with ATV's that were braver than I. If I do go back I will get my ATV snorkelled and go with someone who really knows what they are doing. Also would try to get a forecast every couple days if you get in there, if suspected lots of rain coming at least you know to get out now or expect to be in there for potentially longer period.

Consider bringing waders as well and walking across it first to make sure you have a good line. We thought we found the right spot but it was deeper and chose another crossing point which would have been better if we went.

Waders are a must.

Last year the rivers on the Yedhe were quiet deep and I had to talk across first and find a path for the ATV

I guess I will watch the weather and see what it looks like once I get there and then attempt to carefully walk across then drive the ATV

Was in there last year. Took quad but it stayed in the truck. Rivers were to high. . Walked across the wokpash and then walked across the racing. It was fast and high. I don't think I've ever been that scared before. One slip and the outcome would not of been good. Huge boulders in wokpash making hard to crosss.

Quote Originally Posted by drgame View Post
    Was in there last year. Took quad but it stayed in the truck. Rivers were to high. . Walked across the wokpash and then walked across the racing. It was fast and high. I don't think I've ever been that scared before. One slip and the outcome would not of been good. Huge boulders in wokpash making hard to crosss.
    interesting.

I wonder how bad it is right now.

I checked the weather and its raining a bit.....

found many many posts about hikers doing the Wokkpash loop hiking trail and they just simply walking across the racing river ... if they could walk it I could drive it.

Will update on how it goes in 2 weeks!

The wokpash loop is walking down the wokpash creek(trail) and then up the macdonald.

Quote Originally Posted by danwar3 View Post
    interesting.

I wonder how bad it is right now.

I checked the weather and its raining a bit.....

found many many posts about hikers doing the Wokkpash loop hiking trail and they just simply walking across the racing river ... if they could walk it I could drive it.

Will update on how it goes in 2 weeks!
    I have not been up to Chirchil lately, but the Muskwa is high for this time of yr. In 2 weeks it could be fine, I've gotten stuck on the wrong side a couple times but managed to get back across after only a few days waiting for the water to come back down.

As for the hikers crossing, they have unlimited options of where they can try to cross. Island hopping and wide flats. You and your truck have a very limited window for crossing, within 300M of the road/Trail. Not saying you can't do it, I've done it dozens of times with trucks and quads (My father originally staked/claimed Davis Keays and Chirchill). Sometimes it's not the water that stops you, it's the bank on the other side
    Good luck, have fun.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Northern BC has had a wet summer, rivers are running high. I am not the tallest guy, but tits deep crossings of major rivers are not that fun. Be smart and make the right choice when your there. Have a plan B