Thread: Okanagan hunting

Okanagan hunting

Hey all, I'm looking for places to take my boys and dog for some bird hunting and hiking this fall. We live in the north okanagan and don't mind driving. We are new to the area so I'm just hoping to get pointed in the right direction. Boys are 2-1/2 and 5. I was thinking of heading to Spencer's bridge and snooping around but also wouldnt mind areas closer to us.
    Also just to make some guys jealous, we were sitting down for lunch yesterday and watched a LARGE black bear walk behind our barn. If I'd of had a tag he'd been an easy 100 years shot standing broadside!!! I'll get pics next time. (There's lots hanging around here)
    Chris

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Okanagan hunting

Spences bridge can be interesting for variety can get ptarmigan, ruff grouse, spruce, blue, chukar, and Hungarian partridge. Not the best for numbers but there is roads that take you high enough to find the odd ptarmigan and you will find the grouse species scattered on your way down near the river where you find chukar and Huns

Can make for an interesting day

3-32 is a good grouse area and some chukar better for numbers. Can be really good for blue grouse

Dont know if it's a good grouse year yet they can be boom or bust depending on how chicks made out. Most places in 3 or 8 will have at least fair grouse hunting

The N. Okanagan has a ton of great area for all sorts of upland game. There are plenty of pheasants down in the farm land you just need permission to access private property. Ruffies can be found just about everywhere there's mature forests and old trails or logging roads, and blues (my favourite) can be found up a bit higher, sub alpine open mountain terrain. Spences Bridge is great country too but why drive for hours when you could be getting to know the area you're in and what it has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedcote50 View Post
    The N. Okanagan has a ton of great area for all sorts of upland game. There are plenty of pheasants down in the farm land you just need permission to access private property. Ruffies can be found just about everywhere there's mature forests and old trails or logging roads, and blues (my favourite) can be found up a bit higher, sub alpine open mountain terrain. Spences Bridge is great country too but why drive for hours when you could be getting to know the area you're in and what it has to offer.
    What he said

Hey thanks for the replies. We are just getting to know the area and don't know many people here yet. I'll start talking to neighbours soon about hunting on private land. Thanks again!!