Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Organisation to help hunters and Shooters the most?

Re: Which Organisation to help hunters and Shooters the most?

Quote Originally Posted by bcmulie View Post
    I've never heard of The Wildlife Society - are they actually a pro-hunting group?
    They are a pretty big deal in the world of wildlife biology (probably the biggest deal). They call themselves the "Leaders in Wildlife Science, Management and Conservation" which based on their work and longevity is hard to dispute.

They're not pro or anti, they're an organization whose goal is to address issues associated with current and future status of wildlife.
    The vast majority of wildlife use, management, conservation, etc. research is published in their academic journals (Journal of Wildlife Management, The Wildlife Professional). For people working or engaged in the field to some extent, it is "The" organization for them. They have thousands of members (students, land managers, farmers, ranchers, scientists, wildlife professional, hunters) and regional chapters in most states and provinces.

From their website:

Founded in 1937, the organization’s mission is “To inspire, empower, and enable wildlife professionals to sustain wildlife populations and habitats through science-based management and conservation.” The Wildlife Society enhances our members’ networking and learning opportunities, professional and career development, and provides numerous ways for them to get more involved in creating a better future for wildlife and their habitats.

http://wildlife.org/about/

Many have addressed the wildlife aspect but for a shooters, you can't beat the CCFR.

https://firearmrights.ca/en/home/

Check out their "policies" section.

To the OP. I've thought about your post over the last day. I agree with others, it is important to be a member of many organizations. For me being a member of multiple organizations allows me to really understand the perspective of each organization. And I can share the perspective of one group, with another. The task, is finding balance within each of those organizations to what you, as an individual believe, is the direction you most align with.

The single most important thing is you the individual. Ultimately making a difference is up to you. Bring your passion and be a member of any group, and commit to working with others. It won't matter what group you are a member of, its about you.

FYI, if you are thinking BCWF, I feel strongly that an individual membership is the way to go.

"if you are thinking BCWF, I feel strongly that an individual membership is the way to go."

I've probably got 3 memberships in BCWF through clubs, but I also hold an individual because I think BCWF needs the money and is using it well (yeah, they could do better, but I have faith that we'll get there with some more work).

Here's my question JT: doesn't an individual membership have fewer avenues for voting than an individual? That's my understanding (I could be wrong). As an aside I also think BCWF should probably move to an individual member platform where one member = one vote. Disintermediate clubs in the voting process while keeping them involved by delivering effective and easily recognizable conservation and hunting advocacy value.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey