Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Organisation to help hunters and Shooters the most?

Which Organisation to help hunters and Shooters the most?

OK, well after saying participation in a strong Pro Hunting/shooting organisation is the best way to maintain our hunting and shooting rights, I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and join one. But which one?, anyone got any recommendations for a Provincial or Federal group thats the best at fighting to maintaining our outdoor freedom?

Just looking for suggestions etc....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Which Organisation to help hunters and Shooters the most?

If you're interested in more science and less lobbying, I would suggest The Wildlife Society. It is a major force in policy making and wildlife management in the U.S and gaining momentum here in Canada.

Parent organization:
    http://wildlife.org/about/
    Founded in 1937, the organization’s mission is “To inspire, empower, and enable wildlife professionals to sustain wildlife populations and habitats through science-based management and conservation.” The Wildlife Society enhances our members’ networking and learning opportunities, professional and career development, and provides numerous ways for them to get more involved in creating a better future for wildlife and their habitats.

Canadian section:
    http://cstws.ca/about/
    The Canadian Section of The Wildlife Society was formed in 2007. The mission of CSTWS is to foster excellence in wildlife stewardship through science and education in Canada. Members are drawn from provincial, territorial and federal governments, universities and colleges, environmental and wildlife conservation groups, resource industries, First Nations and the general public, including scientists, managers, educators, students, technicians, planners, consultants and others interested in the management, conservation and study of wildlife populations and their habitats.

Hi Jassmine thanks, I'll take a look. Given recent events, a strong lobby group is a preference

bcwf, JOIN YOUR LOCALE FISH AND GAME CLUB...

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    If you're interested in more science and less lobbying, I would suggest The Wildlife Society. It is a major force in policy making and wildlife management in the U.S and gaining momentum here in Canada..
    Not so much
    they have a voice, with lots of science behind it, and issue self-proclaimed 'policy statements'
    No doubt they are concidered by policy makers but are just another voice, nothing on the ground.

Another paper dragon

a Cdn version is the Miistakis Institute, which has been involved in some Kootenay issues
    Last edited by boxhitch; 09-13-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Not so much
    they have a voice, with lots of science behind it, and issue self-proclaimed 'policy statements'
    No doubt they are concidered by policy makers but are just another voice, nothing on the ground.

Another paper dragon
    Agreed.... Throwing money at a local F&G club affiliated with BCWF is one option, but more importantly getting involved in whatever capacity you can is key! 'The world is run by those who show up"

Quote Originally Posted by Fallkniven View Post
    I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and join one. But which one?, anyone got any recommendations for a Provincial or Federal group thats the best at fighting to maintaining our outdoor freedom
    One is never enough , none fit the complete picture.
    You can pick on firearms rights and freedoms, hunter/angler use and access, sport fostering and junior development, specific species conservation efforts , habitat preservation and enhancement for habitats and /or for species, etc etc etc

Best is to sign up for an info feed from several groups for a while and get the feel for what they are all about. You may also find that the one(s) of your particular interest realy need some help that you could offer.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    One is never enough , none fit the complete picture.
    You can pick on firearms rights and freedoms, hunter/angler use and access, sport fostering and junior development, specific species conservation efforts , habitat preservation and enhancement for habitats and /or for species, etc etc etc

Best is to sign up for an info feed from several groups for a while and get the feel for what they are all about. You may also find that the one(s) of your particular interest realy need some help that you could offer.
    Agreed. "Putting your money where your mouth is" does not involve buying a single membership to an organization. There are several groups that are worth investing in and as well, putting your money where your mouth is means stepping up and putting more than just your membership dues into projects, fundraisers and action funds. Even more effective is becoming involved and giving time to an organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallkniven View Post
    OK, well after saying participation in a strong Pro Hunting/shooting organisation is the best way to maintain our hunting and shooting rights, I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and join one. But which one?, anyone got any recommendations for a Provincial or Federal group thats the best at fighting to maintaining our outdoor freedom?

Just looking for suggestions etc....
    Simple....BCWF. Its local to BC, its our own lobby group, you get atv insurance with it. Its a no brainer and as said above its the first step. Not all of us have the time, or we already donate a lot of time to other charities, but in time we all should make time. I would also recommend joinging your local fish and game club, as that will be a big helper to your local area and give you the opportunities to lend a hand when you have time.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Another vote for BC Wildlife Federation - that would be my first choice. Local fish and game club is another good suggestion. If you want an organization that advocates for hunters' rights worldwide, join Safari Club International. Other good choices would include Wild Sheep Society of BC, Wild Sheep Foundation, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Mule Deer Foundation. All are pro-hunting and invest significantly in conservation efforts.

I've never heard of The Wildlife Society - are they actually a pro-hunting group?