Thread: 280 remington factory loads

280 remington factory loads

Purchased a 280, was wondering what the best factory bullets would be. Its my wifes rifle. Hope someone can chime in.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 280 remington factory loads

We mostly reload for our 280's but I do like the barnes ttsx in 140gr. My buddy shoots them sometimes and he doesn't even have to adjust his rifle from his hand load. I'm guessing any quality loads would work fine just like any other calibre. I have heard they can be on the light side to prevent weird pressures in semi auto's, but that may be an old problem that isn't 'corrected' for anymore.

What will she hunt moose ? or just deer, or?
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Mostly deer and elk, we live in castlegar. Have doe draw for 3 29, hope its not burned.
    Its a win model 70 featherweight.
    Going to valley sports in trail, and scope it up. Was thinking a zeiss terra
    Not sure if I should buy one particular brand of shells, or try different brands, and loads

I use 150 gr Nosler. Every moose I have hit went flop. With that cartridge in a 280 why use anything else. I have other guns/calibers but they just collect dust.When you find something that works better than any other I have used why change?

I'm not too up on factory ammo being a reloader but whoever makes ammo with Barnes 120 or 140 gr ttsx would be a good bet if elk is on the menu. Maybe Federal? The nice thing about them is the lighter bullets behave like heavier ones so lots of killing power with less recoil. I see Hornady's got factory ammo with the new 150gr eldx and their ttsx similar 139gr gmx, either of those might be a good bet. I think the challenge might be finding a good variety 280 not being the most common round out there. Your idea of trying a few is always a good one, see what her rifle likes and if its a decent tough bullet and shoots good Bob's your uncle..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I'd try to find some Federal Premium 140gr Trophy Copper
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004