Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEH Elk MU 7-20A - Opinions Please

Question LEH Elk MU 7-20A - Opinions Please

Hello All,

I was lucky enough to get my first LEH for an antlerless elk region 7-20A Dec 1 - Feb 28th. I'm a new hunter, my husband has been hunting for several years now. Neither of us know much about this region. I'm just starting my research by reading as much as I can find for now. I'm seeing there is lots of private land and I've heard the Elk tend to eat farmers hay and generally ruin it. Is it worth asking permission to hunt on private land? Or just stick to crown? Not asking for any spots or anything like that, just wonder how much private land there is.

Thanks!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH Elk MU 7-20A - Opinions Please

Years ago there was a local butcher who would let you hunt his property if he hung and processed the meat should you find some. It wasn't cheap but defiantly opened the door to get hunting the fields. If I remember the fellow was out of Hudsons hope or chetwynd and was European of some sort. Been a while but worth looking into even though it will be minus 20

I have had this draw twice and was successful both times,BUT, it is no longer the barrel shoot it once was. Lots of elk fencing up that way and not too many farmers are begging hunters to shoot their pesky elk. The key for this hunt is the cold, if you can wait until you see the temps dip to -25C or colder I would highly recemmond doing so. Plenty of crown close to private property that you are allowed to hunt.

Good Luck!
    KCCO

We haven't looked at dates yet for when we will go but we were thinking on January sometime or early February when it should be cold.

Ill look into the butcher too. Thanks for the tips!! Any tips thrown my way are gladly welcomed!!

Mandy

Wait for the cold snaps and snow.

If you two get an Elk when its minus 30 it will be frozen when you get home LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ajeatoo View Post
    We haven't looked at dates yet for when we will go but we were thinking on January sometime or early February when it should be cold.

Ill look into the butcher too. Thanks for the tips!! Any tips thrown my way are gladly welcomed!!

Mandy
    Hmmm really cold weather, deep snow..brings the elk to farmers hay...some have quoted losses of 40,000....hay fields with deer at them mid day is sad for deer..but great elk indicator..elk eat at night..short hunting window..dark 30 am..and last light.
    Elk bed up on hills in timber close by but crunchy, deep snow makes stalking difficult.
    Last year mild low snows..
    Have some ideas..pm with ph number.
    Congrads..good luck
    Steven

Pretty sure theres a huge community board half way into Lone Prairie with all of the farmers names on the board and a map of the land. The guy at the very end, I think his name is Scott is awesome, we rented a house off him about 7 years ago. He has a 2400 sq ft house that they rent out for about $100 a day I think. They have a half section or more I believe and know all the neighbours very well, they set us up really well.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Steve View Post
    Pretty sure theres a huge community board half way into Lone Prairie with all of the farmers names on the board and a map of the land. The guy at the very end, I think his name is Scott is awesome, we rented a house off him about 7 years ago. He has a 2400 sq ft house that they rent out for about $100 a day I think. They have a half section or more I believe and know all the neighbours very well, they set us up really well.
    Good luck!
    Thanks!

So we are planning to head up on Dec 10th, will be checking the weather mid to late next week but as of now the forecast is highs of 2 and lows of -4. Not exactly a cold snap or really cold weather! I know there is snow on the ground but I’m wondering how the “warm” weather is going to factor in. Ive read a few guys are headed up there now through next week. Hopefully they post some updates!