Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: RAINCOAST wants BLACK BEAR HUNTING BAN

Re: RAINCOAST wants BLACK BEAR HUNTING BAN

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

It is a simple request. Please, for once, quit your characteristic misdirection, and directly answer the question at hand.
    Feel free to also ask him to answer all the questions or refute the points that I made then.
    Also there is no misdirection, I was simply responding to his comment that Biology Letters was not a good quality scientific journal. All my comments since then have focused on this fact.
    I never once mentioned anything about the conservation models or supported Raincoast, the interjection of that question is the real misdirection, take the time to go back and read and please show me otherwise.

Jasmine: I've addressed your points, you may not accept my response, but it doesn't really matter. The thrust of my argument was always about Raincoast and the quality of their work, the ranking of one journal is a distraction and tangential to the important discussion

Frankly, Nog's suggestion is correct: this is a thread about Raincoast, which you refuse to discuss, not a discussion about bibliometrics, a topic that you seem to know nothing about. You are a biologist, you say, so enough obfuscation: let's hear what you have to say about Raincoast.
    Last edited by TreeStandMan; 08-18-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

That is a terrible article.

"First, inedible species, like carnivores..." Right. As we know, and as prestigious scientific journals will attest, you can't eat a carnivore.

"
    Second, evidence for show-off behaviour appears clear. Trophy hunters commonly pose for photographs..." And, as we all know, being able to show off in a picture is the prime motivation for doing, well, everything.

"We speculate that such behaviour, counter to expected gender norms..." Get that man a job at Google. So that he can be fired. Then put him on social media so that he can crucified.

Jasmine, I'm no scientist and I give zero ****s about how scientific journals are ranked. However, the article is bullshit and it does the journal no credit to publish hit pieces like that. Why do *people* trophy hunt? Maybe ask them. It's not like they don't explain it.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Great to see the value of higher education on HBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Plain and simple there is no population concern regarding black bear in BC and there is no black bear population concern in the area they want to close black bear hunting.

So no valid reason science wise to close the area to black bear hunting. Jasmine I think even you can agree there is no threat to the black bear population in this area

As for the eating of black bear well no doubt a lot of hunters eat black bear myself included. All those I personally know that don't eat black bear don't hunt them

Really BC has the highest black bear population in Canada(if I remember correctly BC has close to 1/4 of Canada's black bear population)

Now I got to take a break to flip my black bear dinner sausages

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Great to see the value of higher education on HBC.
    Actual question: is this sarcasm?

I hope not, because higher education teaches critical thinking, and critical thinking is always useful.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeStandMan View Post

I hope not, because higher education teaches critical thinking, and critical thinking is always useful.
    I would say there are mixed reviews on that some with higher education are very intelligent others lack any original thought but can regurgitate others findings or opinions.

Education level is not always the best way to judge intellagance

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I would say there are mixed reviews on that some with higher education are very intelligent others lack any original thought but can regurgitate others findings or opinions.

Education level is not always the best way to judge intellagance
    Ha! Good point.

I'd say that education does not equal intelligence, for sure. Also, even though higher education teaches critical thinking, it doesn't mean every one's a good student.

That was sarcastic.

Critical thought isn't exclusive to academia, and public education is in qualitative decline.

Ethics are also in decline, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Ha! Good point.

I'd say that education does not equal intelligence, for sure. Also, even though higher education teaches critical thinking, it doesn't mean every one's a good student.
    Someone always graduates at the bottom of the class.

Those are the people who paste scientific journal reference lists on HBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !