Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reputable Lab Breeders

Re: Reputable Lab Breeders

What Lab Guy said!!
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Ya, what Lab Guy said....

PLUS.... hip SCREENING is just that, same with cardiac, Thyroid, elbows, patellas, eye health and a multitude of other things we screen our breeding stock for.

It is SCREENING to ensure the sire and dam (and hopefully all dogs in the pedigree) have had their hips x-rayed to ensure they aren't affected by Dysplasia.

It's not a genetic test which DE and DM are. Genetic testing a breeder can guarantee that your pup won't be affected by the disease. Carries of the disease are fine as they will never get the disease.....

Therefore, no breeding can guarantee a pup in any particular litter will have good hips. You can breed a dog that has an Excellent rating to another with an Excellent rating and still end up with dysplastic pup.

Reputable breeders will warranty their pups so if you should happen to end up with a pup that is dysplastic and it cant do the work it was bought for, there will be compensation of some kind or another. Read the fine print before you buy any pup.
    Last edited by Kasomor; 08-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    Ya, what Lab Guy said....

PLUS.... hip SCREENING is just that, same with cardiac, Thyroid, elbows, patellas, eye health and a multitude of other things we screen our breeding stock for.

It is SCREENING to ensure the sire and dam (and hopefully all dogs in the pedigree) have had their hips x-rayed to ensure they aren't affected by Dysplasia.

It's not a genetic test which DE and DM are. Genetic testing a breeder can guarantee that your pup won't be affected by the disease. Carries of the disease are fine as they will never get the disease.....

Therefore, no breeding can guarantee a pup in any particular litter will have good hips. You can breed a dog that has an Excellent rating to another with an Excellent rating and still end up with dysplastic pup.

Reputable breeders will warranty their pups so if you should happen to end up with a pup that is dysplastic and it cant do the work it was bought for, there will be compensation of some kind or another. Read the fine print before you buy any pup.
    Yes I'm aware of all of this. Belmont has a "guarantee" of sorts and I know Whiterobin has the same. If a dog develops any of these health issues it can be returned and I'd receive a new pup. I've done my research and I hope to have a pup by early next year. Thank you!

A guarantee means squat IF you have to put down a 3 year old family pet/hunting partner, you have come to love down due to a genetic problem. Any breeder that does not test, stay away from them no matter what BS the "breedr" trys to peddle you.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 08-30-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by LolMeansLotsOfLabs View Post
    Yes I'm aware of all of this. Belmont has a "guarantee" of sorts and I know Whiterobin has the same. If a dog develops any of these health issues it can be returned and I'd receive a new pup. I've done my research and I hope to have a pup by early next year. Thank you!

Ya, well, Its pretty rare that HD will interfer with a hunting dogs mobility.... I wouldn't want to return my dog after two + years and get a new puppy. If the dog is crippled, I'd want finical help for any needed surgery. I might get a new pup too.

I bought a golden pup and she developed juvenile cataracts at 9 months old. I contacted the breeder and could have retiurned the dog for a full refund. Kicker is the breeder would have put the dog down. That IS typical and it IS what many breeders are counting on when you ask to return and for a replacement pup.

So I kept the my golden, she could see her tennis ball for her whole life. She lived to be 15 +/

100% what Lab guy and foxton have said....Testing AND solid guarantees are a must. We picked up a pup from EROMIT and it was their commitment to the health of their dogs as well as their lifetime approach to the pups they sell that won the day for us....They follow the life of your dog looking for updates and is are willing to take dogs back to find homes for because something has not worked out...first rate.