Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reputable Lab Breeders

Reputable Lab Breeders

Hey everybody! Just wondering about people's personal experiences with lab breeders around here. I've been looking at Belmont Gun Dogs and Whiterobin Labradors and everything is looking good from what I can tell, but I'd like to hear of anybody has personal experiences with them? Know somebody who has a dog from either of them? How's their health? Do they have papers? Unfortunately I can't make any trips any time soon to see their dogs myself so I'd like to know if the info they are giving me is legit or not. One can say whatever they like in an email. Doesn't mean it's accurate. I want to make sure I'm getting a lab that isn't going to end up with hip dysplasia or eye problems. Or if you have any great dogs from any other breeders I am more than happy to hear about that also! Thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Reputable Lab Breeders

belmont is producing some amazing gun dogs i have hunted for years with his dogs and assure you will not be disappointed.

You'll likely hear soon from far more experienced Lab people than me ( it's not our breed of choice ) but I'll simply say that Daughter and Son-In-Law has a female Lab from Whiterobin that is now about 9 or 10 years old and has never exhibited any genetic health problems. They are not hunters so can't offer any comment there but the dog did very well at tracking and is a great retriever and fantastic with our two Grand girls. For what it's worth, Daughter was very anal in checking out the Breeder as she is an Animal Tech who was working at a Vet Clinic at the time.
    A couple who live in Hope a street over from us have a male from Whiterobin, I think @ 3 years old. They are upland hunters and have spoken highly about the dog's abilities and have never experienced any health problems. Any interactions I and our dogs have had with their dog have been positive.
    As with all breeders, do your due diligence.
    Last edited by Iron Glove; 08-17-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spellin never was my forte

I know kevin from Belmont personaly he breeds amazing dogs and you will not be disappointed. He knows his stuff and lives and breaths these dogs

White Robin in Princeton have great labs. Just planning on calling them up to get another.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Kevin at Belmont breeds great dogs. Yes they are registered, health tested and comes for great lines. Would definitely recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Last time I checked, White Robin DID NOT test their breeding stock for CNM ( centronucular myopathy) or EIC ( exercise induced collapse). This may have since changed.....I hope so.

I would NEVER purchase a Labrador without these tests and many others being done on both parents.

Just because someone knows that a dog purchased from a particular kennel turned out fine means shit.

Belmont does all the necessary health testing pre-breeding as does Cedarbrae and Eromit Labs in Quesnel. All reputable breeders committed to breed improvement with a high level of integrity.
    Last edited by labguy; 08-18-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

lab guy.
    That used to be something I didn't believe in, only due to my ignorance. My uncle bread Springers, but it was well before the "industry" knew about this stuff. That was where my ignorance started. My first lad was not tested, yes he was a healthy great dog BUT.
    Through this site people I talked to, and yes sometimes at that point argued with.. like Kasomor.. I learned a few things. Ya, I learned I was ignorant to this exact thing... Testing. I am still not terribly up on all the different things they test for and how they do it. but what I say to people now, now that I have been informed is......

Tested dogs are not necessarily more money than non tested. Breeders who take care enough to test their dogs are in it for the health of the breed and put effort to making sure you get the most healthy dog you can. At the same dollar as one that doesn't.. so why would you not go with a breeder that cares....

Sure that doesn't mean the dog wont come up with something, but it does mean that you have done the best to make sure it doesn't get one of these things. As well if the breeder puts in the time to test, that probably means they have also put in the time to breed a dog that fits your needs.

find a breeder that breeds the line of lab that you want, they are very different. ( sorry if my terms are wrong here but its how I separate them.... feel free to inform me otherwise)

Chase was my first dog, he was a trials dog... Fast as a bullet and super high energy. He was over my head as a trainer. He was one of the best Upland dogs I have hunted behind tho, he was just a little "Redneck" at his job.
    Piper my dads dog is a hunt test Conformation bred lab.. She is way more stable. And settles down.
    Timber comes from the same breeder as Piper. Timber is my new pup, he is about 7 months old now. He is very easy to train. You show him what you want him to do and he does it.....
    Then there is show,,,,, if you don't want a bird dog you can look at them.... some will disagree with me here but that is my opinion....

Disclaimer, im not a pro trainer. I am a guy who has a family that has always Upland hunted. my requirements from a dog is that when you walk down a road you know that there was no bird left un turned, that the birds were there but are gone and that when you hit them that they all come to your feet with no losses. one day when I get more time in my life I hope to go further with this but for now im a working guy with a young family and have lots to do...

OP take a long look at the advice here that lab guy stated, he is a pro. I am just reflecting things guys like him and Kas taught me...

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Just because someone knows that a dog purchased from a particular kennel turned out fine means shit.
    As you would expect, I disagree to a degree with this statement.
    Whilst I agree that rigorous testing is important, it certainly doesn't show the whole picture.
    Testing succeptibility to various health concerns is simply one step, albeit an extremely important one in choosing a dog, prospective dog owners also want to see a "finished product" not just a list of health tests.
    My comments were based solely on viewing the "finished products" and those comments may be valuable to a prospective dog owner in choosing a breeder. The OP wanted "personal experiences" and that is what I, and others have offered up. I left the health testing discussion to people, such as you who have considerably more specific experience than I to comment on.
    BTW, we submitted our 8 year old Toller male to more genetic testing last year, we believe in the testing process.

Thanks everybody! Belmont Retrievers sounds like the one to go with! I have been emailing with Kevin a bit and so far so good and I'm hoping for a pup next spring! Thank you to you all for the responses! Much appreciated!