Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under rated Cuts

Under rated Cuts

I shot a little whitetail last season and am absolutely savoring every bite. One of my favorite cuts is a front shoulder roast. We polished the last one off tonight and its as good as the tenderloins and yet you don't hear guys talking about them. I ve always been surprised by that cut and I am wondering if anyone else has any secret cuts that produce surprising table fare.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Under rated Cuts

Shoulder meat is almost always going to be tougher than loins or hindquarters, but how tough it is depends on the animal. A young animal (like a lamb) will still have very tender shoulder meat. Shanks are often underlooked, and while the shanks of a deer aren't usually that big, a moose has some big shanks, great for osso bucco. Not that you can't use the deer shanks though, i've eaten lots of them.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

You won't go wrong cutting a deer just like beef , although the cuts will be smaller . I cringe when I hear people say they put the whole deer into sausage , But that's their choice so...

My wife took the belly meat from a couple of does we killed and made a kind of inside-out dumplings in the crock pot. They worked very well.

I like liver and tripe too, tripe in soup is great. Tongue makes a good rarebit topping.

I hate kidneys, my wife is an RN and won't let me touch brains for fear of infection because of something they treated at her hospital.
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 08-16-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

The 2 flanks and 2 briskets- treat them like tiny beef flank. Marinate, grill, and slice against the grain.

Used to go in the grinder, but not any more.

Neck roast done in the crock pot. One can of tomatoes, chopped onion,one tetra pack of beef broth, season to taste, one sprig of fresh rosemary, 5 or 6 crushed juniper berries and 8 hrs later tender juicy neck meat and the broth becomes the soup of the week.
    Proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Hunt,Kill,Eat

When cooked correctly the toughest cuts (shoulder, neck, flank, shank etc) become the best. All of the connective tissue melts into a silky, tender texture. Every bit as good as back strap etc, just a much longer preperation.

Anybody doing critter brisket on the smoker? Beef brisket smoked at 150 for 30 hours is tender and delicious but the beef brisket comes with a fair amount of fat cap that drips into the meat, helping tenderize.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I would think the meat is too lean for low and slow but you have made me hungry for brisket. I haven't done one in a long time due to the price and availability.
    Proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Hunt,Kill,Eat

I love chicken backs..got some for a $1 a pound, they sell carcasses as soup bones, I cut off the breast bones and kneck and save it for crab bait. I brine the backs in salt water for a few hours, roll them in a rub recipe I found on the web..mostly paprika and cayenne, browned them for 5 minutes at 400f on the grill then turned down to 200f and with no direct flame for 2 hours painting on the bbq sauce, cut them into 2" pieces and grill a little longer painting on the sauce...

Kept a moose tongue this year as well as the femer bones..buddy says tongues the best and steve rinella loves marrow so gotta try it..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA