Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under rated Cuts

Re: Under rated Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Shoulder meat is almost always going to be tougher than loins or hindquarters, but how tough it is depends on the animal. A young animal (like a lamb) will still have very tender shoulder meat. Shanks are often underlooked, and while the shanks of a deer aren't usually that big, a moose has some big shanks, great for osso bucco. Not that you can't use the deer shanks though, i've eaten lots of them.
    I've made some damn fine deer shanks braised in wine and stock with garlic and thyme etc.
    All that connective tissue rendered out makes for an excellent demi.

MOOSE RIBS! Slow roasted with garlic and onion slices and salt and pepper, and I do mean slow! 250-275f with the roaster lid on, YUM YUM! OR alfalfa and grain fed Saskatabush whitetails loin steaks on the BBQ, done med. rare, mmmmmmm

I used to dread managing the meat from the lower leg of a deer. Now I make this and I'll never go back! Shanks are maybe the best cut you can get off a deer.
    https://honest-food.net/?s=Venison+shanks+

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    My wife took the belly meat from a couple of does we killed and made a kind of inside-out dumplings in the crock pot. They worked very well.

I like liver and tripe too, tripe in soup is great. Tongue makes a good rarebit topping.

I hate kidneys, my wife is an RN and won't let me touch brains for fear of infection because of something they treated at her hospital.
    Are you sure she won’t let you eat the brains for fear of you becoming a zombie!

Second the neck - you can chop it out and braise, or with all of that connective tissue it's prime for smoking. Also second the sadness of hearing that an entire animal went to sausage, though what else would you do with an animal whose meat is otherwise offensive?

I like taking the skirt, seasoning with s&p and ground anise, searing off quickly and adding it sliced to home made pho - throw a ladle or two of your stock into the pan to deglaze and return to stock pot. When I lived in South-East Asia, I found a strong taste for soups fortified with fresh blood and now I try to save whatever I can as a finishing addition. Pour into an ice cube tray and push plastic wrap down onto the tops, then once frozen they can be popped out and kept in a bag.