Thread: MU 4-25 Goat Hunt Timing

MU 4-25 Goat Hunt Timing

Good Day all,

I have hunted 4-25 several times for goats. I usually head out the first two weeks of Oct so I can catch some of the elk season.

That said, my LEH in 4-25C is good until 30 Nov. I understand hides can be thicker the later you go, but is it better to go later? I've been told the Billies tend to be more mobile a little later when they start to breed? And I do have a concern that snow may be a problem in some of the areas I hunt as footing is precarious in the best conditions.

cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: MU 4-25 Goat Hunt Timing

Following...

I like the first and second week of November as the goats coat is awesome. Nothing beats that long hair. I find the snow is deep enough for good footing 8-12". A lot better then an inch or two, which I find makes things slippery

Hey Ron. I forgot to mention that we've found goats in November in some pretty good spots. Accessible, and yes, the coats are awesome compared to early season. I wouldn't hesitate to try for them in early nov.

TJ

Thanks for the info and PM's.

My partner and I are going to shift our trip to the first two weeks of November. The last couple years have really been lack luster from an elk hunting perspective. And we've never been out that way into November. Figured hitting the deer rut will be a fun secondary hunt to a goat hunt.

Ooooh I'm jealous Ron - you guys will have a blast. November's my favourite time in the E koot. Just watch for rock solid ice on steep slopes. Snow is one thing but glaze ice is another. I did have some good luck on that stuff with my caulks on one late October goat hunt... But that said it was only to get across a few feet of ice to more bare rock. If you slip you're a gonner!!

TJ