View Poll Results: Do you eat bear meat?

Voters
316. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grizzly, all the time!

4 1.27%
  • Grizzly, never at all.

5 1.58%
  • Grizzly, in certain circumstances

1 0.32%
  • Black bear, all the time!

124 39.24%
  • Black bear, never.

2 0.63%
  • Black bear, sometimes

56 17.72%
  • Both, all the time!

39 12.34%
  • Both, never.

43 13.61%
  • Both, sometimes

26 8.23%
  • I have tried it but no opinion yet

16 5.06%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you eat bear meat??

Re: Do you eat bear meat??

I feel like the poll isn't representative enough, but having all the options would be hard. For example...

I took my first black bear this spring, its only just been in the freezer for over 30 days and its still sitting there until I decide to eat it which I will. That being said I am willing to eat black bear (I've tried it before but I know their taste can vary.), and would certainly eat Grizzly given the chance - At least once, maybe often of the opportunity presented itself.

I also feel like the poll could be misrepresented because there might be lots of people that would eat Grizzly given the chance, but the opportunity to hunt it is much rarer so people may not have an opinion but still support the hunt.

But to answer your question broadly, do I eat bear meat? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    I have been discussing the use of bear meat as table fare on this forum, back home up North,and on campus and wanted to hear other's opinions.
    I've only ever eaten Black Bear meat, and about half the time it was palatable, dependent on when/where (black bears from berry rich areas, only way to go!).
    Yet to try grizzly but I'd imagine it would be similar.

Just hoping to have everyone share their preferences and their culinary opinions of bear meat.

Please vote and provide any details on your choice.
    Jassmine, I am still not convinced what side of the fence you are on in all honesty.
    I truly hope you are an advocate of hunting.
    Last edited by Ourea; 08-16-2017 at 09:05 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I've only eaten blacks, but that's because I've never had a chance to eat grizzly. Gotta say, I like the meat but love the lard. I cook with it every day.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I would not eat any bear at any time intentionally. Too many parasites and bad eating habits to make me want it for table fare.

I do think they make nice rugs though. It is also too bad that the illegal trade forced the ban on selling paws and gall bladders. They helped pay the gas bill for hunters.

We eat black bear every year, whole family likes it. Grind half and half cut into stew meat. Never had grizzly but would definitely try it. I find black bear tastes like tender beef.

Making bear sausages this morning. Eating some tonight.

I eat bears. I hunt bears. I will display bear skulls and skins in my home.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I've eaten black bear but it's not my first choice. I've killed a lot of black bears and those I didn't eat, which were most, I'd always found someone who would. However, I would not eat Grizzly anymore than I'd eat coyote. Don't have anything against someone else eating it, but I wouldn't feed Grizzly to my dog. The culinary habits of black bears and Grizzlies are similar with one major exception. If a black bear kills an animal, it will eat it on the spot. Grizzlies will eat that way as well, but their preference is to bury it, let it rot, and then return to it to eat. To get good beef you finish the animal with grain the month before you butcher it because it affects the flavor of the meat. When you shoot a Griz how do you know it hasn't been finished with a week or two of feeding of rotting moose meat? I still have no problem killing a Grizzly because I believe and have faith in the management practices and philosophies behind the hunt.
    Last edited by 180grainer; 08-17-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

shot and butchered 5 or 6 black bears over the years,never looked too close at the meat,the last couple bears I cut up were loaded with worms,(shouldn't have looked so close),blacks eat cairn, any type,garbage,any type.rotten fish covered with maggots,cans of oil,seat cushions out of old rock trucks,these things I know to be true,funny how they can taste so good (sometimes)I just can't get over the worms.I've also learned never to look close up when I,m doing up late season springs for the freezer...

not a fan of bear meat so I so I don't hunt them .if you shoot it ,you eat it ! don't hunt around garbage dumps or rivers with salmon in it . What are these guys doing with the meat