View Poll Results: Do you eat bear meat?

Voters
316. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grizzly, all the time!

4 1.27%
  • Grizzly, never at all.

5 1.58%
  • Grizzly, in certain circumstances

1 0.32%
  • Black bear, all the time!

124 39.24%
  • Black bear, never.

2 0.63%
  • Black bear, sometimes

56 17.72%
  • Both, all the time!

39 12.34%
  • Both, never.

43 13.61%
  • Both, sometimes

26 8.23%
  • I have tried it but no opinion yet

16 5.06%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you eat bear meat??

Do you eat bear meat??

I have been discussing the use of bear meat as table fare on this forum, back home up North,and on campus and wanted to hear other's opinions.
    I've only ever eaten Black Bear meat, and about half the time it was palatable, dependent on when/where (black bears from berry rich areas, only way to go!).
    Yet to try grizzly but I'd imagine it would be similar.

Just hoping to have everyone share their preferences and their culinary opinions of bear meat.

Please vote and provide any details on your choice.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Do you eat bear meat??

I eat black bear. Usually take one ever spring. Black bear ground makes for the vast majority of burgers my wife and I eat. I'd like to try Griz but never had the opportunity.

Never had a grizzly draw but would have no problem eating a mountain bear. We eat 2 black bears a year in my house. My wife and kids prefer bear sausage to deer sausage.

I've killed plenty of bears and eaten every one of them. Lots of things you can do with a bear, possibly more so than most animals. You can eat the meat with various preparations including bacon, smoked hams, sausage, salami, and all other meat uses like ground or pot roasts. You can use the bones for soup or smoke them for your dogs to chew on. The skulls look very cool and kids love inspecting them and find them educational. And you can get the hide tanned for sexy time in front of the fireplace with your significant other.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    And you can get the hide tanned for sexy time in front of the fireplace with your significant other.
    Very multi-use!

Have a new aboriginal colleague in my department that loves to hunt, we're in the process of seeing what options exist for a last minute poorly planned hunt.

Not a bear meat fan but fully support those who harvest and eat them, regardless of species...

Some people like Brussels sprouts, some don't. Not gonna criticize those who don't.. . Means more baby cabbages for me at thanksgiving...

What was the intention of the poll? I forgot when I started typing Brussels sprouts..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Sorry to hear you encounter bad bear half the time. Like any game animal, in-field care is probably the most important factor. We harvested an old boar this year at around 10am, nearly 30 degrees until we finally got it packaged and cooling around 8pm. Definitely our most gamey outcome, but still easily palatable.

Every other bear we have harvested has been delicious and I would take it over beef any day. We have eaten bear at least twice a week for years.

I imagine grizzly would be similar, but it's not as common since only a couple hundred are harvested each year vs thousands of black bears.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-16-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    What was the intention of the poll? I forgot when I started typing Brussels sprouts..
    To get people talking about the use of bear meat, see what other hunters on HBC do with the meat, share recipes or field dressing ideas.

I don't hunt bear, really not my favourite to eat.
    Have had a few bear kebobs, they were OK and some smoked ham which was terrible.
    Had some decent bear in Czech. many years ago when beef was virtually non obtainable.
    Wife won't touch it.
    On the other hand, my Son much prefers bear to venison.
    Each to their own I guess.

I eat every black bear I take, and have eaten grizzly (though I was not the one who harvested it, haven't been that lucky. All have been delicious. Bear is excellent ground up, smokies, sausages, roasts (know lots who love it as a ham but I don't even care for pork ham so...) I also keep every skull. Some to relive the hunt, others I have given to my nieces and nephews as the think they are cool. Have given a few to clubs and teachers along with deer to show the differences between predators and prey.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!