View Poll Results: Do you eat bear meat?

Voters
316. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grizzly, all the time!

4 1.27%
  • Grizzly, never at all.

5 1.58%
  • Grizzly, in certain circumstances

1 0.32%
  • Black bear, all the time!

124 39.24%
  • Black bear, never.

2 0.63%
  • Black bear, sometimes

56 17.72%
  • Both, all the time!

39 12.34%
  • Both, never.

43 13.61%
  • Both, sometimes

26 8.23%
  • I have tried it but no opinion yet

16 5.06%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you eat bear meat??

Re: Do you eat bear meat??

always out looking for blackies in the spring, never had a chance to try grizz. we grind the whole lot (no urge to eat a well cooked steak) and turn into lasagna, pasta sauce, burrito, chorizo sausage, etc. anything with some sauce and spices as i find the meat to be a bit bland at times. rugs get fleshed and tanned in the back yard and skulls on the mantle.

I have killed a number of both. I prefer Grizzly. Black bear is Ok, the texture is not something I am crazy about, grizzly I find delicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
    Having an opinion is kind of like having a penis. It's fine that you have one, and its fine that I have one, but you don't see me trying to cram mine down your throat.....

Got my first bear this spring.
    The meat was/is very good. Much better in sausage than venison. I didn't have the opertunity to salvage the hide unfortunately because another bear can in to claim the meat and I was solo. Meat out first...
    Spring bear is definitely near top of the list.
    I'm sure mountain Grizz would be good also. Just haven't tried it yet.

guest Guest

Shot a number over the years. Smoked hams, chops, roasts and various sausages. All very yummy! The Grizz have all been mountain Grizz, not pigging out on salmon, and they were every bit as tasty as B Bear. Yup, used to only shoot fall Bear, but sure have changed my tune on that.Spring Bear is terrific too, Give a Spring Bear enough time outa the den to wolfdown some Clover and grasses, sweeten up a little, tasty oh so.
    Haven't came across any hikers bells from the Grizz yet. Matter of time I'm a reckon.
    Have some darn nice reminders of those hunts close at hand too. Personally for myself, nothing goes to waste. Take it all, meat and entire cape claws skull...... Also Good to know many ungulates may fair better with the harvests of a Bear .
    CT

Goin' for a fall blackie this year. Gonna try curing some bear bacon, as I have done pork bacon many times. Maybe a ham too. Pinot noir for a sweet berry fall bear backstrap. Malbec or Okanagan " Meritage" for the roast...oh, I like my wine!
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Smoked hams and smokies are good, the meat reminds me of mutton which is not a favorite.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Shot a number over the years. Smoked hams, chops, roasts and various sausages. All very yummy! The Grizz have all been mountain Grizz, not pigging out on salmon, and they were every bit as tasty as B Bear. Yup, used to only shoot fall Bear, but sure have changed my tune on that.Spring Bear is terrific too, Give a Spring Bear enough time outa the den to wolfdown some Clover and grasses, sweeten up a little, tasty oh so.
    Haven't came across any hikers bells from the Grizz yet. Matter of time I'm a reckon.
    Have some darn nice reminders of those hunts close at hand too. Personally for myself, nothing goes to waste. Take it all, meat and entire cape claws skull...... Also Good to know many ungulates may fair better with the harvests of a Bear .
    CT
    x2 what he said, poorly worded poll though
    Last edited by Piperdown; 08-18-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Shot my first black bear in the fall of 2015. Had never eaten Bear up until that point. Did a bunch of reading on Trichinosis (probably too much reading). But if you kill it, you should eat it, and I did! Black bear was so surprisingly good that I had to go and get myself a spring bear this year too! BB Pepperoni is amongst the best ive ever had. Would definitely recommend. Goodluck this fall everyone

We shoot Bears every spring and usually grind the whole bear and that lasts us just about until fall.The burger is great in my opinion and has zero odor when cooking unlike deer.They are a bit of a pain in the ars to butcher as the meat is a bit greasy and hard to get a grip on.I will keep hide skull etc. if it's a nice bear as in large with nice coat. Spring blackies are my favorite hunt even though the bugs can be brutal that time of year. I would eat a grizz if the opportunity was more available!

Hard to eat grizzly all the time when it's on draw........

might want to rework the poll
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela