Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why spike fork?

Why spike fork?

I was just thumbing through the regs and was looking in 7A. It has moose open to OTC tags in areas, but only spike fork. That doesn't make scenes to me. Most other animal species it is older mature animals that are OTC, not young. For instance Elk in 7A are 6 point or more, Sheep generally are full curl, Deer are 4 point at the beginning of rifle season.
    I don't get why target young male moose?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Why spike fork?

I always thought it was just a money grab. I'm starting to think they don't exist.

To increase hunter opportunity with minimal impact on populations.
    KCCO

Because it is impossible to hunt for 1 specifically. Very low success rate. Almost like people who look for a life partner online.

Easier to identify than a 10pt+ bull, and lots of 1.5 year old bulls will be 3pt+
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

The last 3 answers are all true...

How about ... "It's the bureaucratic dream child". Too bad so many bulls end up shot and wasted to fulfill that dream!

Dont forget the deliciousness factor

I know a lot of guys in region 5 that would love the opportunity to have a moose season even if it was the spike fork.
    I read somewhere that roughly 17% of the moose population falls in this spike/fork combination.

I have found that there are certain areas that seem to produce a lot of spikers. Come to the conclusion that genetics seems to play a big part. In an area we hunted over a 40 year period in 5-04 we were always taking tastey big bodied spikers. The dentist in our group says the teeth were at least two year olds plus on a lot of them that we shot. A buddy of mine hunts up around Gwyneth lake area and is almost always coming home with his spiker. Another area out of 100 mile seems to also have a genetic predisposition to regularly produce spikers for another buddy of mine.