Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mechanical broad heads or fixed blade...

Re: mechanical broad heads or fixed blade...

It's all in the shooting technique, shooting form, and how the bow is tuned for this technique and form. Upon release of the arrow, all you should see is the knock sailing forward, like a bullet. There should be no evidence of any fishtailing or proposing. It's a thing of beauty to watch the arrow fly in this manner. So if you've got this happening 100% of the time, there's never a need for a mechanical. Any good fixed blade of "smallish" size will fly virtually as well as a field point, and will penetrate like crazy. I'm not in the bowhunting game any more, but if I was, I would definitely try the Montecs.
    Last edited by 375shooter; 08-15-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Have you considered a hybrid? A 1" cut on contact fixed with a set of mechanical blades too.

Bloodsport gravedigger...

thanks for all the replies and input, I think I will have to give fixed blades a try, as I don't completely trust mechanicals anymore as theres always the chance they will fail.

Question: Are the fixed blades that come with practice heads accurate to the broadhead at long distances like 60+ yards? I just can't wrap my head around relying on a practice head to sight in for the real hunt... as you ARE shooting a different head (dimensions/aerodynamics), unless you've taken a few shots with the real one and confirmed they are the same. I think id still shoot the real broadhead to a bag to justify as I wouldn't want to take any chances on missing that opportunity. sacrificing one broadhead possibly is worth it to me, and can always sharpen fixed blades, and you know for sure where it should fly so I wouldn't have that doubt before taking a poke at an animal.

Hybrids I haven't really looked into them but id imagine they would give you a better sense of security compared to just shooting mechanicals, especially if one has failed before on an animal.

seems like most people are shooting fixed blades

Appreciate all the input

"
    Whichever your arrows like the most, I've used a lot from Rages, Muzzys, Toxics... I still have dozens, if you're in LML area we can meet and I'll let you try some of them, see what fits."

nice, yeah I'm in lower mainland, where do you go to shoot? I used to go to coquitlam fish n game club but the forest has been closed for some time now. only two more weeks till i'll be hunting so I'm trying to get out practicing as much as possible, usually just bring my bow and butt on scouting trips now.

Do you know about a 3d shoot coming up? I heard theres one in semiahmoo or something? Ive been wanting to go to one of these for a while now.

Cool Re: mechanical broad heads or fixed blade...

Quote Originally Posted by chowskie View Post
    .... shooting 125g NAP spitfires.
    I will buy every single one of the Spitfires you wish to lose
    PM Works.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

try looking at the QAD Exodus as well. i use this on my xbow and the damage and penetration is amazing

i didnt like muzzies, best ones fir me were slick tricks and wasp sledgehammers, the sledgehammers drop after 60 yards but r very accurate for me

Grimreaper broadhead 100gr..... enough said for mechanical but always heard that slick trick are the cats ass so might one day switch over

I shot two-blade broadheads for years out of my recurve. I shifted to the 125gr G5 Montecs maybe 10 years ago. Fixed blade, cut on contact, durable. I have some blades with 3 kills on them. I shoot these heads out of trad gear and my compound. I find very little difference in the flight between the Montec and target tips.

I shoot g5 montecs, I had a problem with mechanicals opening on me while spot and stalk hunting. I threw all my mechanicals out and used montecs. The practice bh or real thing in my opinion fly the same. I typically use different bh for practice then have four sharp bh ready to hunt with. I hate resharpening them.
    My montecs have taken wt, bear, Couger, and moose with excellent results.
    Last edited by allan; 08-16-2017 at 07:15 AM.