Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mechanical broad heads or fixed blade...

Re: mechanical broad heads or fixed blade...

I don't have any first hand experience on the matter, but have also been looking into the subject of fixed blade, replaceable blades and mechanical blades.

The main advantage I hear for mechanical blades is they are more likely to fly like your field tips. The disadvantage being if you hit bone or if you hit the deer on an odd angle, you won't get the penetration you need. I think this goes with tips that have replaceable blades as well.

Fixed blades are just the reverse in advantages/disadvantages. There is a good chance changing over from field tips to fixed blade broadheads, you will need to adjust your sights. From what I read though it's hard to beat a fixed blade broad head w/ blade all the way to the tip for penetration.

Again, not first hand experience... its just what the internet told me and sometimes the internet tells different people different things. Nothing beats actual experience. I will know how my broadheads fly vs the field tips on my bow next weekend.

I'm weighing my options on this as well.
    I have a pack of rage hypodermic plus P and a pack of wasp boss fixed blade.

I wonder if 3 smaller blades do more damage than 2 slightly larger blades?
    Both shoot well and the wasp blades are way sharper

been shooting grim reaper, 100g, 1 3/8" mechanical s since i started, have never had an issue of broad head not opening, so never tried anything new.by no means am i an expert but for me, if it aint broke..

I have been using QAD exodus blades and they fly the same as field points

I use slick tricks. I don't have to adjust my sights at all switching from my field tips to a broadhead as they fly almost identical. Either that or I'm not accurate enough to tell the difference

Quote Originally Posted by PKernohan View Post
    I use slick tricks. I don't have to adjust my sights at all switching from my field tips to a broadhead as they fly almost identical. Either that or I'm not accurate enough to tell the difference
    Good to know, slick tricks will be on the business end of my arrows this year.

Quote Originally Posted by FortBoy View Post
    been shooting grim reaper, 100g, 1 3/8" mechanical s since i started, have never had an issue of broad head not opening, so never tried anything new.by no means am i an expert but for me, if it aint broke..
    Same mech for me

The broadheads I was recommended at the shop are Montec G5 100gr. It says it's a "crossbow design" (I have a compound bow) and "field tip accuracy". I am sure that is all marketing. Gonna try them out next weekend and hope for the best. Anyone have any experience shooting these broadheads with compound bows? Saw a couple other mentions here but not sure if anyone used them in compound bows.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-16-2017 at 09:21 PM.

One thing that everybody knows about mechanical things, is they break! I know a fella that had 2 shots at a early season feeder buck with mechanical broad heads, both shots, one of the broad heads activated early veering the shot both times. Fixed broadheads for me.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    The broadheads I was recommended at the shop are Montec G5 100gr. It says it's a "crossbow design" (I have a compound bow) and "field tip accuracy". I am sure that is all marketing. Gonna try them out next weekend and hope for the best. Anyone have any experience shooting these broadheads with compound bows? Saw a couple other mentions here but not sure if anyone used them in compound bows.
    I buy them for my Dad's crossbow. I've looked at them and don't see any noticeable difference.

I think a large component of this discussion around performance is a question of distance. When we keep our shots close, we see very little difference in performance between a target point and broadhead. Of course I would recommend never taking long shots at a live animal, but many do, and do it successfully. Broadhead performance is much more critical at distance.

One thing to consider with mechanicals. I have never used them, but I have hunted with a few guys that use them. When we've been hunting hard, in bush, in rain, in sun, day after day, they do have issues. I have seen the mechanicals get triggered and open up while hiking, and more than a couple of times, we've recovered a mechanical (from inside a body cavity) that did not deploy on impact with the animals. I've seen guys part way through a hunt, pull all their mechanicals off and spend a day retuning with a fixed blade. I think it depends on what you hunt, where you hunt and the prevelant conditions.