Page 56 of 78 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Re: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

On a side note; do any of you people work? It amazes me how many hours some of you log in a day. I have a business to run which affords me little time to keep up to these most valuable threads. Ok, carry on.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Rob, the common ground is we should all be "working to create and maintain a healthy eco system that therefore supports a sustainable, balanced wildlife population".
    Anything more than that is just in our own self interest redardless of it being a buck for the freezer or taking a client on a moose hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    On a side note; do any of you people work? It amazes me how many hours some of you log in a day. I have a business to run which affords me little time to keep up to these most valuable threads. Ok, carry on.
    Some of us work where we are chained to desks and computers so this is easy when there is some down time and yes I know some might think its not really work at a desk but if you consider some days multi millions of $ of business gets done, may be some of us are more productive than one would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Yes 7 days on 7 days off gives a man time to kill lmao

Bearvalley:

"Rob, the common ground is we should all be "working to create and maintain a healthy eco system that therefore supports a sustainable, balanced wildlife population".
    Anything more than that is just in our own self interest redardless of it being a buck for the freezer or taking a client on a moose hunt."

Agreed and glad to hear you say it. I think we need to make sure people understand that this goal comes first.

I keep hearing a comment Rinella made about elk in Kentucky because it answers the charge that hunters just want animals to kill really well. He points out how many people worked on that re-introduction and how few will ever be able to hunt those elk. Anti-hunters simply cannot honestly argue that those elk were re-introduced for self-interest. There are too many contributors who will never get to take advantage of them. That's the kind of message or example that can counter what we're facing.

As a G/O you face a bigger challenge than I do with self interest - your wallet depends on it and you need to have consistent success. It's very easy to charge you with simply wanting special access to a public resource so that you can make money from rich guys who just want to kill stuff. That hurts you and all hunters when anti-hunters use it to shut down hunts or politicize wildlife. It hurts you and the G/O community when resident hunters think you get too much allocation.

You (and frankly all of us) need to figure out a way to address that. You and I both know there is still ill will on both sides of the fence over allocation. That's a RH vs. GO issue. If it's not fixed it will continue to be...not fixed.

We also both know that you're an easier target for antis to go after than I am. GOs have to figure out a way to make themselves more palatable to the people who don't like their business model.

The third problem is one you're not going to like, I think, but if you want everyone to paddle the boat in the same direction it needs to be addressed: can you convince enough people that you're not chopping holes in the boat? I'm not pointing fingers. I'm just providing data. Remember that guy running for office on the Island? Let me refresh your memory:

"A commercial bear trophy hunter nominated for the Liberals in the riding of Mid Island-Pacific Rim is finding himself in the cross-hairs of the B.C. environmental movement."

"DeLuca is a realtor and vice-president of the Guide Outfitters Association of B.C., an organization that last month received $60,000 from U.S.-based Safari Club International." (Guide and realtor - two of the public's favorite targets)

"As a professional guide outfitter, Darren DeLuca has helped line the coffers of a U.S. political action group waging a global fight on behalf of trophy hunters. As a politician, DeLuca has also been funded by trophy hunting lobbyists in his own bid for power."

I'm not saying he's a bad guy. I'm sure he loves his mother and his mother loves him.

But the attack ads write themselves, and when they work the result is a political payoff dressed up as wildlife policy. You saw it happen in real time, just like I did.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying you don't get consensus by just demanding it.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdown View Post
    And here's another boneheaded comment!! Trophy grizzly hunters don't waste?! Are you as stupid as you sound?
    So now we're down to schoolyard league name calling? If you want to attempt to salvage any credibility here why don't you go back about 20 pages in this thread and work forward and answer the many pointed questions that have been asked of you. Not 3 or 4 word answers with 5 or 6 exclamation marks, actual thoughtful answers. Otherwise, you remain at troll status and not a very good one I must say, we've been pestered by many and some good ones through the years Also, don't lie and contradict yourself anymore - instant fail.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Rob, the common ground is we should all be "working to create and maintain a healthy eco system that therefore supports a sustainable, balanced wildlife population".
    Anything more than that is just in our own self interest redardless of it being a buck for the freezer or taking a client on a moose hunt.
    I'd point out that is not just common ground with all hunters, but with hunters' mortal enemy as well: Raincoast and such.

It seems to me, that the loudest members of the hunting community deliberately antagonize groups they see as having interests opposed to their own. Yet there is obvious common interest there. Working together to protect as much land as possible, for everyone, can only benefit hunters in the long run. Hunter's need to take a seat at their table to make sure their interests are represented. If it's a perennially adversarial relationship - It's hunters that are going to have their interests excluded. Hunters just simply have more to lose than they do - and when that goes unrecognized, the position of the hunting community will always get eroded.

[QUOTE=LYKTOHUNT;1928139]Some of us work where we are chained to desks and computers so this is easy when there is some down time and yes I know some might think its not really work at a desk but if you consider some days multi millions of $ of business gets done, may be some of us are more productive than one would think.[/QUOTE

Don't worry, I have my share of desk work, driving to meetings ect, just not a lot of other time.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Here you are yourself, playing the blame game.

Maybe we are not winning battles because we are associated with "trophy hunting", and "wealthy foreign trophy hunters". Don't shoot the messenger, that's just a reason that I see from a general public standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post

At this time residents on their own are winning no battles. So how is staying divided benifical?

I will stand and say it again if we want to admit it or not resident hunters helped give the NDP ground work for this law with our stance taken in the media against the GOABC

Time to wake up and get smarter about how resident hunters do things.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Pemby_mess:

"I'd point out that is not just common ground with all hunters, but with hunters' mortal enemy as well: Raincoast and such."

I think Shane Mahoney has done a really good job of pointing out exactly that: the animal lover who doesn't want to see a hunter kill something isn't necessarily an enemy of the hunter, because the two share an awful lot of common interests (clean air, clean water, a healthy natural environment, lots of wildlife, etc). We need to work to make sure each side sees that, but of course, we've got to start with seeing it ourselves.

Speaking of Raincoast, if we look at them as opposition, do we have anything going on remotely similar as this:
    https://www.raincoast.org/projects/wolves/wolf-mgmt/ ?

These guys are good at their jobs.
    Last edited by Rob Chipman; 08-17-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey