Page 35 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Re: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Play nice people so I dont have to toss members off the board

I'm not surprised it has come to this. The people who have lived through the last NDP government knew what changes they make whether campaign promises or to appease small interest groups.

This latest election had only a 61.5% voter turnout. Hopefully the next election will be higher and a majority of newer voters will get a taste of what we have now.

I'm curious on how many members here are against this new grizzly bear regulations only to find themselves in the 38.5% that didn't vote.

The case is pretty clear, hunting only accounts for 2% mortality, as the BCGov website says, its cumulative Human development that's the greatest threat to Grizzly bears. Just look at the areas where grizzly's are no longer present, its all the high density human population zones. If these special interest groups, CBC et al really cared for the Grizzly Bear population, why would they even waste their time on hunting, which clearly not only is NOT a threat to bear extinction, and, as we all know, hunters are some of the best guardians of the wild places bears need to thrive. This has always been about a certain segment of the populations distaste for hunting, nothing to do with bears, or the wild places they inhabit.

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    I really hope Dr. Weaver does the right thing.
    If he and Horgan can't manage the deer and rabbits in Oak Bay and Victoria what makes you think they can manage Grizzly Bears across the Province?

Cue the circus music. These guys should be an act at the PNE.
    Last edited by OutdoorDave; 08-15-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallkniven View Post
    The case is pretty clear, hunting only accounts for 2% mortality, as the BCGov website says, its cumulative Human development that's the greatest threat to Grizzly bears. Just look at the areas where grizzly's are no longer present, its all the high density human population zones. If these special interest groups, CBC et al really cared for the Grizzly Bear population, why would they even waste their time on hunting, which clearly not only is NOT a threat to bear extinction, and, as we all know, hunters are some of the best guardians of the wild places bears need to thrive. This has always been about a certain segment of the populations distaste for hunting, nothing to do with bears, or the wild places they inhabit.
    bingo well said

Is that a black bear in their cover photo for the story?

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorDave View Post
    Yes it is. I doubt any of the anti-grizzly hunt folks noticed that....
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Thumbs up Re: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorDave View Post
    Yep

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I think some hunters are making decisions based in emotion. Think it through, this seems like good policy. What are hunters really losing? The experience? No. The meat? No. Some decoration that hangs on the wall and is thrown in the garbage after we get old and go into a home? Yes.
    Generally speaking I am an NDP supporter, but this is idiotic policy...

Part of being a hunter is being sustainable. While many don't often keep the hide of a deer/moose/whatever, we have the ABILITY to and many of us do... just like many of us eat the tongue, heart, liver while some prefer not to.

This policy promotes wastage. Part of the reason to kill a fur bearing animal is... wait for it... the fur. The majority of the black bear hunters I know both eat the meat and keep the hide.

What exactly is this policy you are so proud of supposed to accomplish?
    Is there conflict between bear tourism and bear hunting? No. The two don't mix (and if you were worried about this you could just ban grizzly hunting in provincial parks)
    Is the grizzly population struggling? No.

This policy was enacted because "bears are cute". When the population explodes, when more outdoorspeople are injured and killed by grizzlies, when they start roaming where they shouldn't, when other game numbers decline because of predation... yeah, this was a smart policy.

Ugh.