Page 43 of 78 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Re: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Wolfdown:

You keep trying to advance and argument that this policy is good, but you don't provide actual reasons. You even use the term "the right reasons", but you don't provide any.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. You want government to enforce your will on other people because that allows you to control what they do. It's that simple.

If you've got an actual argument indicating why this policy is good by all means write it down and share it. Otherwise start being honest about your love of control.
    It's simply really.. it stops the trophy hunt! Good enough for me and apparently a lot of others. Hunt them all you want but use the meat!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Have to say l am a supporter with the requirement to have to take the bear meat. That said and to be clear I am a hypocrite because I have no problem shooting prairie dogs, coyotes, wolves, or trapping.
    And I think leaving the hide and head is rediculous. I am a trophy hunter. My pursuit for a mountain goat continues and I don't do that for the fine table fare. I hope to one day have a beautiful goat mount to remind me of the years of ups and downs experienced in the mountains trying to get him.

When I lost an animal after a shot a couple years back it nearly ruined my desire to hunt. I personally can't wrap my head around ones comfort with leaving bear meat in the bush.

All that said, I'd love to have the opportunity to hunt griz again. Be nice to have a big griz rug. But like the goats, I certainly wouldn't hunt one just for it's meat. And I'm sure this is exactly the reason behind the new regulation.
    Well at least you admit it! I'm glad someone had the guts. Everyone here tries to play it off as if "trophy" hunting isn't a real thing.

We all know, this is not so much about the Trophy G bear hunt, at 2% hunting mortality theres no case to answer in terms of species loss. Its about the slow erosion of hunting, bit by bit, by animal rights/'protection' groups and individuals whose goal is the eradication of hunting in all its forms.

At the end of the day, for us as hunters, really only two things will make a difference..
    a) Vote for the party, provincial or federal who offers the best protection for hunting and shooting. It may be we have to put all other considerations aside, and use our vote for this single issue.
    2) financially and actively support organisations that give a positive voice to hunting and shooting.

Not much else will stop the loss of hunting, both for us and for those who come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdown View Post
    Yes, in my opinion I would say that's alright, with that being said though.. the grizzly hunt has been and currently is a "trophy" hunt whether or not you care to admit it. Many of these boneheads on this fourm have already insinuated that on this thread already which gives fuel for the fire of people who don't agree with it. They can't just say you have to take meat because that won't solve the real problem.. anyone can then just say I'm a grizzly meat hunter which very few if any are as many have already stated in this thread. (Taking the meat to the dump etc etc etc) should maybe be more careful with what they say.

So you think it's ok to take meat and hide. Ok.

What is the "real problem " that this new policy solves?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

It's simply really.. it stops the trophy hunt! Good enough for me and apparently a lot of others. Hunt them all you want but use the meat!
    What is the benefit of stopping the "trophy" hunt?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallkniven View Post
    At the end of the day, for us as hunters, really only two things will make a difference..
    a) Vote for the party, provincial or federal who offers the best protection for hunting and shooting. It may be we have to put all other considerations aside, and use our vote for this single issue.
    2) financially and actively support organisations that give a positive voice to hunting and shooting.
    And therein lies the problem - one has to prioritize one's "wish list" when choosing who to vote for.
    If hunting grizzly is at the top of one's list, so be it, vote accordingly but to others that may fall lower on the list.
    I like to use the somewhat ridiculous analogy wherein the Government of the day says "We can cure cancer but to do that we have to ban "insert much loved pastime here" to accomplish that." Decisions, decisions, decisions.
    We all knew that regardless of how we voted, the "Great Bear Rain Forest" Grizzly hunt was gone.
    Personally I don't bear hunt but I like the idea that if you shoot a grizzly you take out the meat and anything else you so desire. I think it was Gatehouse who suggested that to do otherwise was "idiocy". I concur.
    And for the record, I was the only person at a showing of the video on the Grizzly "Trophy" hunt that spoke up about the stupidity of banning it.

Yes, in my opinion I would say that's alright, with that being said though.. the grizzly hunt has been and currently is a "trophy" hunt whether or not you care to admit it. Many of these boneheads on this fourm have already insinuated that on this thread already which gives fuel for the fire of people who don't agree with it. They can't just say you have to take meat because that won't solve the real problem.. anyone can then just say I'm a grizzly meat hunter which very few if any are as many have already stated in this thread. (Taking the meat to the dump etc etc etc) should maybe be more careful with what they say.

Im sure the wording for grizzly meat retention will be the same as every other animal. All edible portions must be removed to a meat cutter/cooler, inspection facility or your primary residence. After that I can do what I see fit.

By the the way I shot a grizz in 2010 and have a beautiful rug and no, I didn't eat the meat but it was consumed.

A few years ago, I got into this same debate (albeit more civil) that Wolfdown is struggling with… I felt that my hunting – for meat only was the only justification for talking a life. Through intelligent debate, my opinion evolved. Initially I was arrogant and self-righteous – projecting my own personal ethics and values upon others. Eventually I realized that it was an ignorant and conceited approach… assuming I knew better than hundreds of others. The hunt was legal, the rules were followed, the hunt was sustainable and managed by individual WMU… it was backed by legitimate science, not promoted by distorted rigged polls… I realized I had no right to judge others and condemn them for ethics and values different than my own. Then I looked at the predation numbers on young of the year… and decided that in addition to doing all we can to preserve and replace habitat, I needed to kill a few predators, which includes Grizzly in areas of abundance.
    This year I applied for a Grizzly LEH and was successful (unsuccessful hunt though…) I felt I needed to do my part to take out a predator in the area I hunt moose. Same reason I shot a Black bear this spring… and judging by your handle Mr. Wolfdown… perhaps the same reason you feel it is ok to kill a wolf…?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    So you think it's ok to take meat and hide. Ok.

What is the "real problem " that this new policy solves?
    It solves the the problem of people hunting the bears for show and nothing more! That's it and I'm okay with that.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    A few years ago, I got into this same debate (albeit more civil) that Wolfdown is struggling with… I felt that my hunting – for meat only was the only justification for talking a life. Through intelligent debate, my opinion evolved. Initially I was arrogant and self-righteous – projecting my own personal ethics and values upon others. Eventually I realized that it was an ignorant and conceited approach… assuming I knew better than hundreds of others. The hunt was legal, the rules were followed, the hunt was sustainable and managed by individual WMU… it was backed by legitimate science, not promoted by distorted rigged polls… I realized I had no right to judge others and condemn them for ethics and values different than my own. Then I looked at the predation numbers on young of the year… and decided that in addition to doing all we can to preserve and replace habitat, I needed to kill a few predators, which includes Grizzly in areas of abundance.
    This year I applied for a Grizzly LEH and was successful (unsuccessful hunt though…) I felt I needed to do my part to take out a predator in the area I hunt moose. Same reason I shot a Black bear this spring… and judging by your handle Mr. Wolfdown… perhaps the same reason you feel it is ok to kill a wolf…?
    I can echo this evolution in sentiment Elch Jager. Through debate with reasonable individuals on here my opinion about the whole thing has changed markedly. However, I still feel there are legitimate concerns surrounding the issue: Moral and ethical, as well as ecological.

There is still a lot of counter productive bluster that makes it that much harder to identify with some of the loudest proponents. I'd have to say that if I had come into the debate a little later, I'm not sure the same evolution would have occurred.