Page 75 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Re: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Breaking news of my own:

NDP MLA Melanie Mark is coming to campus tomorrow. I'm on the waitlist for the reception but my down the hall lab colleague got invited.

I don't think either of us have any expectation of her deviating from the script, but we were hoping to maybe force her to think a bit or divulge actual NDP plans regarding hunting. Neither of us have g-bear hunted here yet (he just got her in early late spring) but we're really interested in how members of an entire party could defend something (lack of science based decision making) when they would deride anyone else doing so.

Any tips on how everyone would approach this (he probably won't get more than 5ish minutes with her one on one, me probably much less).
    Be quick and to the point about how the lack of science in their decision is disgusting, and in typical NDP fashion, will hurt the economy with how the guiding industry will suffer...and good on ya..

Well said Rob, killem Jazzy, don't let BS stand in the way of fact! K

guest Guest

Great last post Mr. Chipman ........ To every one, take GGs recommendations if you value your future of hunting, your heritage, and what's best for all wildlife . WRITE to those responsible for such off the cuff decisions based on emotions rather then science, and DEMAND proper science, proper management and lastly a funding model not affected by who is in power governing and managing our provincial wildlife.

Now we are back on track!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Point out that there are close ridings that the NDP can lose in a heartbeat. North Van Lonsdale was won by Bowinn Ma over Naomi Yamamoto 10,700 odd votes to 9,300 with the Green party picking up 3600. Now the NDP is win power and have to fix stuff like....housing costs. Selina Robinson, from Coquitlam Maillardville, is catching hell on Twitter over her unpreparedness on the file. She can't fix the problem. And her allies in the GP are throwing her under the bus. She won a safe, safe riding by just under 3,000 votes. Courteney-Comox? Under 200 votes.

It's likely this government will be back at the polls in under two years. They can't afford to waste ridings. Confirm with her that she understands that.
    I don't see the Coquitlam Maillardville riding as a gimme. It was more or less a tie in 2013. I think bridge tolls were a factor in 2017 and the NDP are removing the tolls today, so it's off the table next time around. So, I would call this a swing riding that leans NDP.

If you want to meet my Burnaby North MLA I would be game. She is near both of us.

Outdoor Dave -

You're probably right. I'm picking on Selena not so much because the riding is up for grabs (it's probably one of the safest NDP seats around) but because in my other life I'm in the RE business, she's the housing minister and I know a lot of folks are unimpressed with her lack of action on unaffordability (to be fair, what can she do?). You're right that taking off tolls will be a positive for her.

I will PM you about meeting MLA in NB.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Outdoor Dave -

You're probably right. I'm picking on Selena not so much because the riding is up for grabs (it's probably one of the safest NDP seats around) but because in my other life I'm in the RE business, she's the housing minister and I know a lot of folks are unimpressed with her lack of action on unaffordability (to be fair, what can she do?). You're right that taking off tolls will be a positive for her.

I will PM you about meeting MLA in NB.
    I actually think taking the tolls off will be a negative for her. It was a positive in 2017 because it's easy to win votes when you give out money. They won't be able to give out money like that again, so some of those swing voters will go the other way next time. I think this will be even more true in the Surrey ridings that went NDP.

I agree with you that she is useless on housing and that the Province can only do so much. But I do think there are a number of things they could easily change, which they haven't, nor do I think they will.

My general sense is that this government has a mixture of incompetence, ignorance and arrogance. I think some of their Minister's are going to learn some tough lessons and they'll drop the ball on all sorts of stuff. There are a few competent people in their government for sure, but I think most of them are pretty weak. I think Clark had a similar issue with rookie MLAs but the momentum of being in power for so long kept everything going OK. I think Horgan is going to get pulled in all sorts of directions and that he's going to get embarrassed by the lack of discipline in his ranks. I also think 'bullies' like him have a long list of enemies and there could be forces behind the scenes that will undermine him.

That said, I don't see an election anytime soon and the NDP will only pull the plug if they are high in the polls and the Greens won't be pulling the plug because they have nothing to gain by it, until electoral reform. It's possible that once West Kelowna goes Liberal, the NDP will have an unworkable situation for the Spring 2018 Leg, bringing about an election.

As for removing the toll, and still supporting the ndp, because of that, I am not so sure of.
    I would have voted for the NDP (spoiled my ballet this time), because of their "removing the toll" talk,
    because I feel it is the right thing to do....people shouldn't have to pay that just to get to work everyday.
    Toll the Coq, the Whistler etc, I am all for it, as long as it does not toll the ones who need it to travel to and from
    home to work and back again etc.
    So, now that the toll is gone, the ndp have done what I think was right, does not mean I support their "next decision".
    In other words, I now open to any party again at the next election.
    There are lots of issues out there.....one is gone, many still remain.
    Want to win the next election, tell the people you wont allow any more people who do not pay "All their taxes" here in this Country, or do not reside here more than 6 months a year, that they can no longer purchase property, you will
    probably have a "landslide" decision.....or maybe I am way wrong.
    What I am saying is, their are a lot of people out there "not loyal to any party".
    Those are the people who will decide the next election outcome.
    For someone like me, there is not much more that the NDP could do, that would be of any benefit (other than our
    housing/ballooned pricing).
    Now, the NDP have reasons that would make me vote for another party.. they support FN way too much from past experience...and now starting with the onset of shutting down GBear.
    Taking the toll down, does not create a long term loyalty...IMO.....

My guess.....they'll remove the tolls and add a lesser toll to every bridge. Ain't no gubment gonna remove a tax without implementing another more profitable system.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorDave View Post
    I actually think taking the tolls off will be a negative for her. It was a positive in 2017 because it's easy to win votes when you give out money. They won't be able to give out money like that again, so some of those swing voters will go the other way next time. I think this will be even more true in the Surrey ridings that went NDP.

I agree with you that she is useless on housing and that the Province can only do so much. But I do think there are a number of things they could easily change, which they haven't, nor do I think they will.

My general sense is that this government has a mixture of incompetence, ignorance and arrogance. I think some of their Minister's are going to learn some tough lessons and they'll drop the ball on all sorts of stuff. There are a few competent people in their government for sure, but I think most of them are pretty weak. I think Clark had a similar issue with rookie MLAs but the momentum of being in power for so long kept everything going OK. I think Horgan is going to get pulled in all sorts of directions and that he's going to get embarrassed by the lack of discipline in his ranks. I also think 'bullies' like him have a long list of enemies and there could be forces behind the scenes that will undermine him.

That said, I don't see an election anytime soon and the NDP will only pull the plug if they are high in the polls and the Greens won't be pulling the plug because they have nothing to gain by it, until electoral reform. It's possible that once West Kelowna goes Liberal, the NDP will have an unworkable situation for the Spring 2018 Leg, bringing about an election.
    When is this election in WK, so I can vote Liberal??