Page 8 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Re: Breaking news ... Grizzly bear hunt demise

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Because killing an animal solely for a trophy seems wasteful.
    Its a legally harvested bear do you think he cares why he was killed? It just doesn't matter the bear is dead. I can understand requiring using the meat as was done with black bear some years back, but wasting the hide and rest of the animal is just stupid and an underhanded way of achieving the end of this hunt for no conservation or other scientific reason.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Why can't you understand why they hunt grizzly is irrelevant, setting sustainable hunting limits is all that matters.

I'm good with requirement to use the meat but not good with the requirement to waste the hide and skull.
    Sustainable limits is fine! What benefit to you is the hide and skull?! I'd love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    There's still a lot of questions to be answered as to what they're calling the end of the grizzly trophy hunt.
    If the change is implementing meat retention to bring the grizzly hunt into parallel with the current black bear regulations it can be looked as a win by all.
    In the official announcement it reads that "During the fall months, Donaldson said the government will consult with First Nations and stakeholder groups to determine next steps and mechanisms as B.C. moves toward ending the trophy hunt".
    One thing to keep in mind is that not all FN's want to see the grizzly hunt ended. Some have identified grizzlies as needing to be managed and hunting is a form of management.
    Other stakeholder groups feel the same.
    In a relatively small portion of BC there is high value in grizzly viewing and a closure makes some sense. As I've said before the bear viewing industry should assume the cost of managing these bears as they will become "essentially their bears".
    In much of this province the bear viewing industry is not viable and a complete closure or meat only law will turn the grizzly bear into basically a nuisance.
    In the end it will hurt the grizzly.
    Good post. Hopefully some common sense will prevail and hide/head can be retained. Otherwise there would no longer be CI, which would also hurt the species. The larger problem is this premise of meat retention being the center of logic to allow hunting. If it starts getting applied to all predators, well then all the ungulates are in trouble. This in effect is a re branding of what hunting is by anti hunters, with the ultimate goal being a ban on all hunting.

Because killing an animal solely for a trophy seems wasteful.
    And you're entitled to your opinion. What you're not entitled to is forcing others to comply with your moral code. The hunt is sustainable and a valuable management tool. The hunt generates jobs and money for BC'rs and the government. If the NDP really wanted to protect the bear, they'd have designated all monies from the hunt to bear research and habitat enhancement. And they would designate funding to law enforcement. But what they really did is just force their moral opinions onto everyone else in an attempt to make themselves look good.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Do we throw away all wolf, coyote, cougar, lynx and wolverine hides, skulls and claws?
    Which of these species will become the next "icon".
    My bet is it'll be the wolf.
    I think so too. Maybe this policy should include those critters as well.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I was being sarcastic. I actually think that public opinion does matter.
    Hunting is our heritage , we need science to manage conservation.
    I do not hunt grizzlies and do not plan to, however I do get "emotional " when I see deliberate and covert steps to end hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdown View Post
    That is exactly what they're trying to avoid!!!!! If you allow hunters to take skull, claws, fur etc then it loses its entire purpose. They don't want you taking that stuff.. if you want to hunt a grizzly fine, but you're taking the meat and the fur isn't going on your wall. It's completely logical looking at it from their angle.
    Wow, what bullshit new age thinking. Why would you not allow all the useful parts to be taken. You do realize mankind has been using furs since the beginning of mankind right?
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

That is exactly what they're trying to avoid!!!!! If you allow hunters to take skull, claws, fur etc then it loses its entire purpose. They don't want you taking that stuff.. if you want to hunt a grizzly fine, but you're taking the meat and the fur isn't going on your wall. It's completely logical looking at it from their angle.
    Someone agrees with me for once on this site?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Sustainable limits is fine! What benefit to you is the hide and skull?! I'd love to know.
    None to me I don't hunt bears personally but if you don't understand the value and use of fur I won't bother trying to explain it. You in to art? A bear skull is high art afaik but I'm the kind of guy that spent 4 hours in the NY Museum of Natural History and enjoyed it a lot.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

It's becoming quite clear to me that a majority of you on these forums would love to hunt grizzly bears for nothing more than their hide and skull on your walls, while leaving the rest of the animal to rot! Sometimes I'm ashamed to be a hunter and this is one of them.