Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sock liners? Yes or no?

Re: Sock liners? Yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Not only have I done a lot of hiking, mostly in mountainous terrain, I used to take youth
    groups as well. Many times over the few years of taking those youths I had to address
    swollen and twisted ankles because of poor or no ankle support. Tape and mole skin were
    'must have' items even on fairly short trips. Although mature people that have experience
    and many trips under their belt are far less likely to twist an ankle when wearing low light footwear,
    it does happen. With the huge variety of light hunting and hiking boots with ankle support
    available now-a-days, it's good insurance against such injuries and the difficulty of getting back.
    Lol, short of a ski boot or leg cast, no leather (no matter how tight) can compete with weight of a human being rolling their ankle. Wear high boots if they're comfortable, but I believe that the key is being agile and able to feel the loss of traction/support under the shoe so there's a chance to react. However, ankle coverage does provide protection against impact- which is great.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Lol, short of a ski boot or leg cast, no leather (no matter how tight) can compete with weight of a human being rolling their ankle. Wear high boots if they're comfortable, but I believe that the key is being agile and able to feel the loss of traction/support under the shoe so there's a chance to react. However, ankle coverage does provide protection against impact- which is great.
    "being agile and able to feel the loss of traction/support under the shoe so there's a chance to react."

That's true for sure, but in my experience, including being a CSO for big construction related companies
    for many years, even someone that's in great shape and agile sometimes can't react in time if they step
    on something that rolls, steps into a deep hole or crevice covered by foliage etc, or onto something very
    slippery like a hidden slimy branch or root. That's why WorkPlace BC insists on footwear with ankle support
    on many jobsites. I will concede though that even with heavy duty logging boots, sometimes there's ankle
    injuries anyway.

The wright sock is the right sock. I have used the double layer socks but now just use the single layer in my boots. Never had a hotspot with them. Even double as dress socks. Best socks I've ever owned. Think I have 10 pairs currently! Under bamma boots in my caulks, alone in everything else. They are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    "being agile and able to feel the loss of traction/support under the shoe so there's a chance to react."

That's true for sure, but in my experience, including being a CSO for big construction related companies
    for many years, even someone that's in great shape and agile sometimes can't react in time if they step
    on something that rolls, steps into a deep hole or crevice covered by foliage etc, or onto something very
    slippery like a hidden slimy branch or root. That's why WorkPlace BC insists on footwear with ankle support
    on many jobsites. I will concede though that even with heavy duty logging boots, sometimes there's ankle
    injuries anyway.
    Worksafe lists both abrasion protection and ankle support as reasons for high ankles.

Check this out. It would seem to explain what I've noticed first hand in construction and recreationally.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943374/

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    The wright sock is the right sock. I have used the double layer socks but now just use the single layer in my boots. Never had a hotspot with them. Even double as dress socks. Best socks I've ever owned. Think I have 10 pairs currently! Under bamma boots in my caulks, alone in everything else. They are great.
    Also, the wright sock is durable and made in the U.S.

Hmm I've used the fake silk socks. .poly? As a base layer under wool socks..
    What store sells Wright socks?
    Thank you
    Steven

Thanks all for the comments and recommendations.

where in BC can you buy the Wright Socks???

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Thanks all for the comments and recommendations.

where in BC can you buy the Wright Socks???
    I buy mine at MEC. I buy the largest ones (x-large, I'm a 12 shoe) as I find they fit snug. Can order them online from mec as well. About $12 a pair but last for a very long time. I think they have different socks- I get the gray ones as I think they seem stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm I've used the fake silk socks. .poly? As a base layer under wool socks..
    What store sells Wright socks?
    Thank you
    Steven
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5026-3...-Quarter-Socks

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Thanks for the link. I may just have to order a pair or two.