Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for a new horse; what would you suggest.

Re: Time for a new horse; what would you suggest.

The japs know how to build automobiles. Very well thought out when you do repairs. Better quality parts.
    Old jeeps are ok...
    end of the day your going to spend a lot more fixing your gasoline domestic truck. And your going to get way more life from a Toyota. When your Chrysler is tired and done at 300km your Toyotas just getting broke in. And the re sale value is awesome.

Domestic? Not so much. For a reason.
    If you go domestic go diesel.

I've had a pre Tacoma pick up, a Tacoma and a 4runner. They're good vehicles for sure. Bombproof? Um, no. They are very tough though. But the only rear end I've ever replaced out of dozens of vehicles I've owned was on the 4 runner. They're fantastic in the bush though and decent on the highway but they burn more fuel than they should IMO. At the end of the day though they're just too eff'n small.

Had an 04 Sierra that I had for about 8 years and logged 140kms on it. Sold it rusted and beat with 270k on it for 9 grand less than I paid. That is cheap driving. Replaced both front hub assemblies on it otherwise just consumables. Now I'm on to a Ferd 1/2 ton. I just got tired of burning very nearly as much fuel in Toyotas and not being able to tow or haul much. Full sized half tons for the win.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Just stay away from the second gen Toyota 4Runner with the V6 3.0 L engine.. better choice is the R22 engine if your looking at used in this year.... and as Salty mentioned they suck fuel.... comparable to my 1972 K10 Chevrolet
    Lol.... if I was to go the 4Runner route again it would be a 3rd gen in a 5spd if you can find one. www.carsurvey.org will have a lot of first hand reviews on anything you maybe considering.

I am in the same boat...

Options:

- Get a Jeep Unlimited + a small high clearance trailer. Jeep JK Unlimited with the seats folded can be used to sleep in and the trailer can haul animals/coolers.
    example:

OR
    - 1/2 ton pickup.

I would probably go with the Jeep just so I can sleep in it over night. But if you are considering a 2dr Jeep, I would with the pickup.

Also short wheel base jeeps suck on standing water and ice on the highway....like to do endos so not the greatest for highway commuting in shitey weather.